Bedford Area Family YMCA at Thomas Jefferson Elementary
1255 Patriot Place
Thomas Jefferson Elementary School
Forest, VA 24551
Current Inspector: Nicole Scott (804) 588-2372
Inspection Date: April 1, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, necessary due to a state of emergency health pandemic declared by the Governor of Virginia.
A monitoring inspection was initiated on April 1, 2021 and concluded on April 2, 2021. The site director was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. There were 26 children present and two staff. The inspector emailed the site director a list of items required to complete the inspection. The Inspector reviewed three children?s records and one staff record submitted by the facility to ensure documentation was complete.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliances with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
The Licensing Inspector has reviewed with the provider COVID-19 Essential Guidance for Child Care programs.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-130-A Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that documentation of immunizations was obtained prior to the child's attendance.
1. The first date of attendance for child #1 was 9/8/2020. The immunization record was signed by the physician on 9/9/2020.
Plan of Correction: The site director will make sure immunizations are obtained prior to a child attending in the future.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-40-E Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that the operational responsibilities of the licensee maintained compliance with the terms of the current license issued by the department.
1. The current license issued by the Department has a minimum age of five years old as requested on the renewal application completed by the licensee at time of renewal of the license. According to records reviewed and interview with the site director, there was a child who was four years of age present at the program and receiving care on 4/1/2021 and 4/2/2021.
2. According to the staff, child #1 has been attending since September 8, 2020.
Plan of Correction: The site director will discuss with the child care director if the license will be requested to be modified or if other action will be taken.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-260-B Description: Based on review of forms and discussion with the site director, the center failed to ensure that there was documentation of annual approval from the health department.
1. The last completed "Report of Environmental Sanitation Inspection Form" by the health department was 10/17/2019. The site director stated that there was supposed to be an inspection from the health inspector last week but did not make it due to a conflict.
Plan of Correction: The child care director contacted the health department today to have the form completed.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-C Description: Based on record review and interview with the site director, the center failed to ensure that the ratio of staff to children was maintained for the youngest child in the group during care in regular mixed age group care.
1. Each day at the program the site director verified that there are mixed age groups from four years through 12 years. On April 1, 2021 there were two staff present with 30 children as verified through documentation review and interviews. The ratio required for the age of the youngest child would be one staff for every 10 children or three staff required for 30 children.
2. On April 2, 2021 during the virtual inspection of the facility, it was determined that there were 26 children present from four years through nine years of age with two staff supervising. The required ratio would be one staff person for every 10 children or three staff required for 26 children.
Plan of Correction: The program will maintain ratio based on the youngest age of a child present.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.