Happy Feet Early Learning and Child Center
37 Ellsworth Street
Martinsville, VA 24112
Current Inspector: Rebecca Forestier (540) 309-2835
Inspection Date: July 21, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
An unannounced renewal inspection was completed on 07/21/2021. There were 27 children and 8 staff present during the inspection. The Licensing Inspector reviewed 5 children?s records, 5 staff records and 1 manager record; staff stated that there was no medication on site. The children were observed in the following activities: free choice activities, educational activities, during lunch and during naptime. Areas listed in the Intensive Plan of Correction were also reviewed during this inspection. The Licensing Inspector arrived at 9:43 am and departed at 3:00 pm. An exit meeting was conducted at the conclusion of the inspection to review areas of non-compliance. Thank you for your time today. If you have questions, please contact the inspector at 540-309-2835.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-C Description: Based on record review and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that staff submit the results of a tuberculosis screening/testing at least every two years from the date of the initial screening/testing.
Evidence: The record for Staff #2 contained a tuberculosis screening/test dated 05/13/2019; there was not a 2021 repeat tuberculosis screening/test in the record.
Plan of Correction: Will have the staff member make an appointment.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-350-E-1 Description: Based on observation and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the staff to child ratio was maintained for children from birth to the age of 16 months: one staff for every four children in care.
1. There were 5 children and 1 staff member present in the Toddler Room for the duration of the renewal inspection. Discussion with the staff determined that the youngest child in attendance in the Toddler Room was 15 months old which would require a ratio of one staff member for every four children in care.
2. There were 6 children and 1 staff member present in the Toddler Room for approximately 30 minutes while lunch was being served; a child was moved from the Infant Room to the Toddler Room for lunch. Discussion with the staff determined that the youngest child in attendance in the Toddler Room as 15 months old which would require a ratio of one staff member for every 4 children in care.
Plan of Correction: Will reevaluate children's birthdays to ensure proper ratio and will create a different aged class if necessary.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-510-J Description: Based on observation and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that medications shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. The upstairs first-aid kit was mounted on the wall outside of the school-aged classroom and was unlocked. The unlocked first-aid kit contained several packets of antacids, first-aid cream and antibacterial ointment.
2. The downstairs first-aid kits was mounted on the wall outside of the kitchen and was unlocked. The unlocked first-aid kit contained several packets of first-aid cream, antibacterial ointment and hand sanitizer.
Plan of Correction: Will check all of the first aid kits and will not keep those items in the center.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-540-C Description: Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to maintain the minimum requirements of a first-aid kit.
1. The upstairs first-aid kit did not contain triangular bandages, there was only one triangular bandage in the kit, nor adhesive tape.
2. The upstairs first-aid kit did not contain triangular bandages, there was only one triangular bandage in the kit.
Plan of Correction: Will designate a staff person to check first-aid kits monthly and document it on a checklist.
Standard #: 22VAC40-80-120-E-2 Description: Based on observations and discussion with the staff, the facility failed to ensure that the findings of the most recent inspection of the facility were posted.
Evidence: The most recent inspection of the facility was conducted on 06/16/2021. The findings posted during the 07/21/2021 inspection were dated 05/21/2021; the 06/16/2021 inspection findings were not posted.
Plan of Correction: Will post most current inspection as all times.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.