Blue Ridge Montessori, Inc.
1071 Woodberry Square Place
Lynchburg, VA 24502
Current Inspector: Kelly Campbell (540) 309-2494
Inspection Date: July 28, 2021 and July 30, 2021
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
A complaint inspection was initiated on July 28, 2021 and concluded on August 18, 2021. A complaint was received on July 12, 2021 related to areas of staffing, qualifications of staff, ratio/supervision, parental involvement, diapering and hand washing, incident/injury reports, and hazardous substances.
The inspector and representative from another agency arrived at the center on July 28, 2021 at 10:05 am and departed at approximately 2:45 pm. Interviews were conducted with staff, areas of the center and outside areas were observed, supervision and ratios were observed, activities were observed, and records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-280-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all hazardous substances were kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevented access by children.
1. The White Pine classroom with 20 children present from two years of age through five years had multiple cleaning supplies and other hazardous substances stored in an unlocked cabinet which was accessible to the children. There were three commercial sanitizing sprays, a spray bottle of soap and water mixture, and an aerosol can of spray paint on the bottom shelf of the cabinet that was over a counter area. The cabinet was approximately five feet high above the counter; however, there was a wooden two step stool located at the cabinet where the supplies were being stored.
2. There were multiple cleaning supplies in bottles/containers located in a hall closet in the Anita building with four classrooms of infants, toddlers, and two year old children. The closet was not locked.
3. There were cleaning supplies in spray bottles/containers located in an unlocked cabinet above the counter at the sink in a classroom with 14 children present ages three through five years of age. The cabinet was approximately five feet high above the counter; however, there was a wooden two step stool located at the cabinet where the supplies were being stored.
Plan of Correction: This was corrected during the inspection on 7/28/2021. The cabinets and closets containing hazardous substances were locked.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on record review and interview with staff, the center failed to ensure that a Sworn Statement was complete prior to the first day of employment.
1. There was no Sworn Statement or Affirmation found in the record for staff #1 on the date of the inspection (7/28/2021). Staff #1 had a documented hire date of June 3, 2021. Staff #5 confirmed to the inspector that there was no Sworn Statement available that was completed by the staff person prior to hire.
Plan of Correction: According to staff #5, the Sworn Statement was completed on the same date of the inspection after the inspector left the facility.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on record review and interview with staff, the center failed to ensure that the fingerprint criminal record check did not include a disqualifying background. The center also failed to ensure that the fingerprint criminal record checks were completed prior to hire, as required.
1. Staff #1 had a documented hire date of June 3, 2021. The fingerprint record result letter dated June 3, 2021 had a ?NOT ELIGIBLE as Employee pursuant to 63.2-1720.1 of the Code of Virginia? result for Staff #1. According to interviews with four staff, Staff #1 had been working regularly at the center with the children from June 3, 2021 up until the week of July 26, 2021.
2. Staff #3 had a documented hire date of June 23, 2021. The fingerprint record result letter was dated July 29, 2021. Staff #3 was observed to be working on July 28, 2021. According to interviews with staff #3 and administrative staff, staff #3 had been working regularly at the center with the children since June 23, 2021.
Plan of Correction: According to staff #5, staff #1 was placed on unpaid leave as of July 28, 2021. The center will ensure fingerprint results are received prior to hiring any staff in the future. Staff with "not eligible" fingerprint results will not be hired by the center.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.