Children of America Stephens City, LLC
201 Centre Drive
Stephens city, VA 22655
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Sept. 15, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSE.
22VAC40-80 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
- Technical Assistance:
A supplemental page was provided.
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a virtual tour of the program.
A renewal inspection was conducted on September 15, 2021. The director was contacted by telephone and a virtual inspection was conducted. There were 36 children, ranging in age from 9 months to 5 years, present and in the care of eight staff. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, special care and emergencies. A total of 3 children's records and 7 new staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and the violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-60-A Description: Based on the review of three children's records and discussion with the director, the center failed to obtain all of the required enrollment information for two children.
1. The record for Child A did not contain a physical address for one of the emergency contacts for the center to call in case of an emergency and the child's parent can't be reached.
2. The record for Child B did not contain the name, address or phone number for a second emergency contact for the center to call in case of an emergency and the child's parent can't be reached.
3. The director verified that the information was not in the children's records.
Plan of Correction: The director will be in touch with the parents of the children and obtain the information as soon as possible.
Standard #: 22VAC40-191-60-C-2 Description: Based on the review of seven staff records and verification from the director, one required background check had not been obtained for one staff member.
1. The record for Staff Member #7 did not contain a completed a Virginia search of the child abuse and neglect central registry. Date of hire for Staff Member #7 was 06/28/2021.
2. The director confirmed that she had failed to submit a request for the search at the time of hire.
Plan of Correction: The director sent a request to have the search completed on 09/13/2021, as soon as she realized it had not been sent when the staff member started. She will send the results of the search to the inspector once they are received.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-4 Description: Based on the review of seven staff records and confirmation from the director, one required interstate background check had not been obtained for one staff member who had lived outside of Virginia in the last five years.
1. The record for Staff Member #3 did not contain a completed a sex offender search from the state where the person had lived outside of Virginia within the last five years. Date of hire for Staff Member #3 was 08/18/2021.
2. The director stated that she was not aware of the requirement to obtain the new out-of-state background checks.
Plan of Correction: The director completed the sex offender search for Staff Member #3 during the inspection. She now understands what background checks need to be completed on each staff member.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.