KinderCare Learning Center at Diamond Springs
990 Diamond Springs Rd.
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Sept. 23, 2021 , Sept. 29, 2021 and Sept. 30, 2021
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 PHYSICAL PLANT.
22VAC40-185 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL SERVICES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
63.2 Facilities & Programs.
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a virtual tour of the program.
A renewal inspection was initiated on 9/23/21 and concluded on 9/30/21. The director was contacted by telephone and a virtual inspection was conducted. There were 31 children present with 8 staff. A total of 3 children's records and 3 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed engaging in morning learning activities and playing outside on the playground. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-160-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each staff shall submit documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening. Documentation of the screening shall be submitted no later than 21 days after employment and shall have been completed within 12 months prior to or 21 days after employing.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 8/23/21. The most recent tuberculosis test or screening for staff 1 is dated 3/29/19.
2. The center director confirmed that the most recent tuberculosis test or screening on record for staff 1 is outdated.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff 1 will obtain an updated tuberculosis test or screening.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-D Description: Based upon review of emergency drill records and interview, the center did not ensured that an emergency evacuation drill is practiced monthly.
1. The emergency drill record provided does not contain documentation of a practice evacuation drill for the months of April 2021 and May 2021.
2. The center director confirmed that practice evacuation drills were not conducted in April or May of 2021.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Going forward, the center will ensure that evacuation drills are practiced monthly and are documented in the emergency drill log.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that a copy of the results of a criminal history record information check, a sex offender registry check and a search of the child abuse and neglect registry is obtained from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 8/23/21. Staff 1 indicated on her sworn statement or affirmation that she has resided in the states of North Carolina and Florida within the past five years. The results of a sex offender registry check and a child abuse and neglect registry check were not available for staff 1 from the state of North Carolina. The results of a sex offender registry check were not available for staff 1 for the state of Florida.
2. Staff 2 has a hire date of 8/30/21. Staff 2 indicated on her sworn statement or affirmation that she has resided in the states of Florida, Hawaii and Rhode Island within the past five years. The results of a sex offender registry check were not available for staff 2 for the state of Florida. The results of a sex offender registry check and a child abuse and neglect registry check were not available for staff 2 from the state of Hawaii. The results of a criminal history record information check and a sex offender registry check were not available for staff 2 from the state of Rhode Island.
3. The center director confirmed that all of the required background checks for staff 1 and staff 2 were not obtained from the previous states in which they have resided in the preceding five years.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The out of state sex offender registry searches for staff 1 and staff 2 have been completed in all states they have resided in during the past 5 years. The other applicable out-of-state background checks will be completed and results will be placed in each staff's record once received. Going forward, the center will ensure that all out-of-state background checks are completed within the required timeframes.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. Eligible child care facilities must be fully licensed, licensed exempt and a VDSS subsidy vendor, or a voluntary registered day home and a VDSS subsidy vendor. Only programs enrolled in Virginia Quality will display a rating. Virginia Quality contact information for your region is available at the following link Regional Contacts.