KinderCare Learning Center at Diamond Springs
990 Diamond Springs Rd.
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: May 19, 2021 , May 21, 2021 and Oct. 21, 2021
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
22VAC40-185 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
22VAC40-185 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES.
22VAC40-191 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2(17) License & Registration Procedures
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff both on-site and using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review and interviews.
A complaint inspection was initiated on 5/17/21 and concluded on 10/22/21. A complaint was received by the department on 5/11/21 regarding allegations in the area of children's injuries. The center director was contacted by telephone to conduct the investigation. Interviews with staff were conducted both on-site and by telephone. Documentation related to the allegations was also reviewed. Information gathered during the investigation determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-L Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and a review of center documentation, it was determined that the center failed to ensure that parents were notified by the end of the day of any known injuries.
1. The parent of child 1 reported that her child sustained multiple scratches to his face on 5/7/21 while in care at the center.
a. Child 1's parent stated that the child's grandmother picked the child up from the center on the day of the injury but that neither parent was notified of the child's injury by center staff.
b. Child 1's parent stated that an injury report was also not provided to them until 5/17/21.
2. The injury report for child 1 documents that the child was injured on 5/7/21. The parent signed the injury report on 5/17/21. There was no documentation that the parent was notified on the same day the injury occurred.
3. Staff 2 confirmed that child 1's parent was not notified of his injury by the end of the day, as required by licensing standards. Staff 2 stated that the injury report for child 1 was completed at the time of the incident but center staff did not provide the report to the child's parent until 5/17/21.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center Administration will make parents aware of injuries/incidents prior to pick up for serious injuries and via phone call or at pick up for all other injuries as outlined in KinderCare policy handbook.
Standard #: 22VAC40-185-550-M Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined the center did not ensure that the written record of all children's serious and minor injuries contained all of the required components.
1. An injury report for child 1, dated 5/6/21, and an injury report for child 2, dated 5/11/21, do not include the time when the parent was notified.
2. The center director confirmed that the injury reports do not contain all of the required information.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center Director will ensure that the written record of all serious and minor injuries contain required components.
Standard #: 63.2(17)-1720.1-B-4 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that a copy of the results of a sex offender registry check is obtained from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 1/6/21. Staff 1 indicated on his sworn statement or affirmation that he has resided in the state of Florida within the past five years. The results of a sex offender registry check was not available for staff 1 from the state of Florida.
2. The center director confirmed that the results of a sex offender registry check for staff 1 was not available for review from the state of Florida.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Moving forward, Center Director will ensure that all employees have sex offender registry checks prior to starting.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.