Guidepost Montessori at Ashburn Village
21711 Shellhorn Rd
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Lisa Hudson (571) 389-2459
Inspection Date: Jan. 24, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
- Technical Assistance:
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) assumed oversight of child care licensing and
monitoring on July 1, 2021. All associated regulations and codes have transferred over from the Virginia Department of Social Services. Guidance, resources and training links can be found on the new website childcareva.com. The violations listed below reflect the new VDOE codes and standards.
Discussed request to change the center's name to "Guidepost Montessori at Ashburn Village".
A Monitoring inspection was initiated today. This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using both an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and an onsite tour of the program. There were a total of 10 children present with 4 staff. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of 2 child records and 2 staff records were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations and were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-C Description: Based on staff record review, a subsequent TB screening was not completed.
1. Staff #1's last documented TB screening was on 11/26/2018.
Plan of Correction: This staff will obtain a TB screening as soon as possible.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-250-A Description: Based on observation of the center, written documentation was not obtained prior to altering areas of the building.
1. Two walls located in two different classrooms were altered. Written documentation of approval from the county building official was not obtained.
Plan of Correction: We will request a building inspection from the county and provide licensing written documentation of the building inspection request.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation of the center and playground, areas and equipment were not maintained.
1. The playground equipment is made of wood and has areas that have split and one area that is splintered.
2. A door threshold located in an unoccupied classroom upstairs has flooring that is no longer adhered and is peeling.
Plan of Correction: We will work with a maintenance to repair these areas.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-A Description: Based on observation of both playgrounds, the design of the playground do not protect children from hazards.
1. The corner areas of the base of the equipment are braced with lumber for support. The space between the lumber and the structure allows a hazard for tripping or entanglement.
Plan of Correction: We will need to re-evaluate the equipment and location of the equipment and will ensure that all hazards are removed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: Based on observation of the playground, resilient surfacing does not comply with minimum safety standards.
1. A fall zone shall encompass sufficient area to include the child's trajectory in the event of a fall while the playground equipment is in use and should be free from barriers.
2. Fall zones were identified at the base and trajectory area of each slide and climbing apparatus. The resilient surfacing and fall zones located at the base of the slide on the preschool playground and the slide of the Nido playground has a concrete walkway and determined a barrier. .
3. Approximately 1.5 inches of resilient surfacing was found at the fall zones. Safety standards require a minimum of 6 inches of resilient surfacing.
Plan of Correction: We will need to evaluate the location of the playground and the possibility of expanding the playground space. Until the fall zone areas are resolved, the two slides will not be used.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.