3440 22nd Street South
Arlington, VA 22204
Current Inspector: Karen Dickens (571) 423-6978
Inspection Date: Feb. 2, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a virtual tour of the program.
A monitoring inspection was initiated and concluded on February 2, 2022. The director was contacted by telephone and a virtual inspection was conducted. There were 29 children present, ranging in ages from one years to five years, with six staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of three child records and three staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Thank you for your cooperation. If there are any questions, please contact Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review, required records were not kept for each staff person.
1. Staff #1's record (Date of hire-12/13/21) did not contain documentation of an emergency contact and documentation of a second reference.
2. Staff #2's record (Date of hire 10/12/21) did not contain documentation of an emergency contact, documentation of a second emergency contact. Also, the first reference check was not checked before the first date of employment. The first reference check was conducted after the first date of employment and dated 12/8/21.
Plan of Correction: Emergency contact forms will be completed for staff members and two reference checks will be completed before the first day of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-90--A Description: Based on record review, written and signed agreement between the parent and the center was not in each child's record by the first day of the child's attendance.
1. Child #3's record (First date of attendance-10/04/21) did not contain documentation of signed authorization for emergency medical should an emergency occur when the parent cannot be located immediately. This authorization was not signed by the parent on the first day of attendance.
Plan of Correction: The parents will sign medical authorization today.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-E Description: Based on record review, staff did not complete orientation training in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) within 30 days of the first date of employment, as appropriate to the age of the children in care.
1. Staff #1's record (First date of employment-12/13/21) did not contain documentation of complete orientation of First Aid and CPR training within 30 days of the first day of employment.
Plan of Correction: First Aid and CPR certification will be obtained tomorrow.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-F Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not develop and implement a written policy and procedure that describes how the center will ensure that each group of children receives care by consistent staff or team of staff members.
1. The center did not develop a written policy and procedure that describes how a center will ensure that each group of children receives care by consistent staff.
2. Staff #3 confirmed that a written policy for continuity of staff for each group of children had not been developed or implemented.
Plan of Correction: A written plan will be developed and implemented.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-G Description: Based on record review, required documentation was not maintained of emergency evacuation, shelter-in-place, and lockdown drills.
1. The following documentation was not documented for emergency evacuation drills: method of notification, number of staff participating, time it took to complete drill, problems encountered, if any, and weather conditions.
Plan of Correction: Required documentation will be added to evacuation drill logs.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.