1841 London Bridge Road
Virginia beach, VA 23453
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sampson (757) 354-7307
Inspection Date: Feb. 10, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and an in-person component. A renewal inspection was initiated on 02/02/2022 and concluded on 02/10/2022. The director was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection. There were 69 children present and 21 staff. The inspector emailed the director a list of items required to complete the inspection. The Inspector reviewed 5 children?s records and 6 staff records, along with any requested program records submitted by the facility to determine if required documentation was complete. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation the center did not ensure all areas and equipment of the center were maintained in a safe condition.
1. There was peeling paint on the door frames of each classroom and on classroom walls.
2. In the gym there were missing pieces of floor baseboard that exposed peeling paint and sharp edges.
3. In the gym there was insulation exposed in the ceiling.
4. In the gym there was evidence of water damage on the ceiling and walls, presenting with brown splotch stains. Staff confirmed when it rains hard, there is a leak in the corner of the gym.
5. There was vegetation growing from the ceiling of the gym that hung down. Staff confirmed it has been growing longer over the past 2 years.
Plan of Correction: As of 2/16/2022 the safety captain and school leaders have been retrained on how to conduct timely and effective safety checks to meet all licensing standards. We are working in conjunction with our facility team to have the issues addressed on or before 3/15/2022. District Manager will conduct an in person safety check on or before 3/15 to ensure completion.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-B Description: Based on observation the center did not ensure behavioral guidance was constructive in nature, age and stage appropriate, and intended to redirect children to appropriate behavior and resolve conflicts.
1. The inspector and program director heard staff A from outside the preschool classroom using a harsh tone and yelling at Child #1 for pulling the ends of a frayed rug during nap.
2. Through the classroom window, the inspector and program director observed, Staff A tell another child #2 to get off her cot so she could put Child #1's cot in its place. Staff A was holding Child #1's cot in the air while she waited for the other to move.
3. Once she placed child #1's cot on the floor, Staff A pushed it abruptly with her foot a few times as she gave Child #1 conflicting verbal direction. In a harsh tone, Staff A repeatedly told Child #1 to "lay down on the rug," however had already moved the cot off the rug. Child #1 did not respond.
4. Another member of management who was in the classroom, stated he was aware Staff A had been frustrated with Child #1 during nap time.
Plan of Correction: Mandatory staff training for positive guidance and interactions has been schedule with Tara Powell on 3/24/2022. School leadership and the DM will continue to provide in the moment training and observations both in person and virtually on a daily basis. Staff will also be coached on our in service day on 2/21/2022 the importance of reporting to management on interactions.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.