First Discovery Academy
5355 Lila Lane
Virginia beach, VA 23464
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: April 4, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION.
8VAC20-780 Special care provisions and emergencies.
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL SERVICES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
This inspection was conducted by licensing staff both on-site and using an alternate remote protocol, including telephone contacts, documents review, interviews and a tour of the program.
A monitoring inspection was initiated on 3/15/22 and concluded on 4/4/22. The center director was contacted by telephone to initiate the inspection and an on-site inspection was conducted on 4/4/22 from 10:10am until 12:40pm. At the time of the on-site inspection, there were 67 children in care with 10 staff present. A sample of 5 children's records and 5 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed engaging in morning learning activities, playing on the playground, eating lunch and resting quietly during nap time. Restroom and handwashing procedures were also observed. First aid and emergency supplies, documentation of emergency practice drills, transportation, children's injury reports and required center postings were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that they obtain the results of the fingerprint based background check prior to the first day of employment.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 2/1/22. The results of the fingerprint based background check for staff 1 was not received until 2/8/22.
2. The center director confirmed that staff 1 began employment prior to the results of the fingerprint background check being received.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Going forward, all fingerprint based background checks will be obtained before new staff begin employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A-1 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each staff shall submit documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening at the time of employment and prior to coming into contact with children.
1. The record for staff 2 (date of hire: 3/14/22) does not contain documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening.
2. Staff 3 has a hire date of 1/31/22 and documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening was not received by the center until 2/23/22.
3. Staff 4 has a hire date of 1/31/22 and documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening was not received by the center until 2/25/22.
4. The center director confirmed that documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening for staff 2, staff 3 and staff 4 were not obtained within the required timeframes.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff 2 will obtain a tuberculosis screening this week. Going forward, the center will ensure that documentation of TB screenings are obtained within the required timeframe.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that children's records contain all the required information.
1. The record for child 1 (date of enrollment: 5/3/21) does not contain the phone number of one of the two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached.
2. The center director confirmed that the record for child 1 is lacking a contact number for one of the emergency contacts.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The parent of child 1 was contacted during the inspection and a phone number for the emergency contact was obtained and written in the child's record.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.