LeafSpring School at Hanover
8218 Atlee Road
Mechanicsville, VA 23116
Current Inspector: Jennifer Moore (540) 430-0384
Inspection Date: May 4, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies.
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
32.1 Report by person other than physician
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced monitoring inspection was initiated on 5/4/2022 and concluded on 5/5/2022. The inspector was on site from 10:10 am-3:00 pm. There were 114 children present, ranging in ages from 5 months to 6 years, with 23 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies, nutrition and background checks. A total of 10 child records and 10 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Please complete the ?plan of correction? and ?date to be corrected? for each violation cited on the violation notice and return it to me within 5 business days from today. You will need to specify how the deficient practice will be or has been corrected. Just writing the word ?corrected? is not acceptable. Your plan of correction must contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standard(s), 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again; and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measures. Please do not use staff names; list staff by positions only.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on review of 10 staff records and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain a repeat sworn statement background check every 5 years for 1 staff as required.
1. The record of staff #9 (DOH:1/16/2017) contained a sworn statement dated 1/11/2017.
2. Administration acknowledged that the repeat sworn statement had not been obtained.
Plan of Correction: Administration will add calendar reminders during orientation of new staff to ensure future completion of documents.
Standard #: 22.1-289.058 Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that each building that was build before 2015 and serves preschool aged children was equipped with at least one carbon monoxide detector as required.
1. A carbon monoxide detector was not observed in the center's 2 buildings that serve preschool aged children.
2. Administration acknowledged that the buildings were not equipped with a detector.
Plan of Correction: carbon monoxide detectors were purchased and installed
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Description: Based on a review of 10 staff records and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain the results of a central registry background check within 30 days of employment for 1 staff as required.
1. The record of staff #6 (DOH:10/1/2021) contained a central registry background check dated 1/3/2022.
2. Administration acknowledged that the central registry was not received within the required time frame.
Plan of Correction: Employees will not be permitted to work until completed central registry has been mailed. Moving forward all staff will complete central registry prior to training
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on a review of 10 children's records and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain a physical record for 1 child before attendance or within 30 days after the first day of attendance as required.
1. The record of child #4 (DOE: 5/17/2021) contained a physical dated 8/31/2021.
2. Administration acknowledged that the physical was received late.
Plan of Correction: children will not be permitted to start without proper physical form
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-B Description: Based on a review of 10 children's records and interview, the center did not ensure that 2 children's physical examinations were completed within the required time period.
1. The record of child #7 (DOE:1/3/2022) contained a physical record dated 12/14/2020. If physicals are received prior to enrollment, they must be completed within 12 months prior to attendance for children two years of age through five years of age. Child #7 was 3 years old at the time of enrollment.
2. The record of child #5 (DOE: 2/7/2022) contained a physical dated 11/18/2021. If physicals are received prior to enrollment, they must be completed within two months prior to attendance for children six months of age and younger. Child #5 was 4 months old at the time of the enrollment.
3. Administration acknowledged that the physical date did not fall within the required time frame.
Plan of Correction: children will not be permitted to start enrollment without proper physical form
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on a review of 10 staff records and interview, the center did not ensure that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment for 2 staff as required.
1. The records of staff #2 (DOH:4/4/2022) and staff #3 (DOH:4/19/2022) were missing documentation of the required references.
2. Administration acknowledged the references were missing from the records.
Plan of Correction: employees will not be permitted to work
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-D Description: Based on a review of records and interview, the center did not ensure to implement a monthly practice evacuation drill as required.
1. An evacuation drill was not documented in April of 2022.
2. Administration acknowledged that an evacuation drill had not been completed that month.
Plan of Correction: Administration has received updated drill log from licensing agent and will immediately transcribe drills into new form. Admin will continue with calendar apps for drills
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.