KinderCare Learning Center at Diamond Springs
990 Diamond Springs Rd.
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: May 10, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies.
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
A monitoring inspection was conducted on 5/10/22 from 1:30pm until 4:45pm. At the time of the inspection, there were 15 children in care with 5 staff present. During the course of the inspection, 20 school-aged children arrived with an additional staff member. A sample of 5 children's records and 4 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed resting quietly during nap time, eating snack and playing on the playground. Infant feeding, diapering procedures and restroom and handwashing procedures were also observed. First aid and emergency supplies, transportation, documentation of emergency practice drills, children's injury reports and required center postings were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law. Violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were discussed with the assistant director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that a copy of the results of a criminal history record information check and a sex offender registry check is obtained from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 5/3/22. Staff 1 indicated on her sworn statement or affirmation that she has resided in Washington, DC within the past five years. The results of a criminal history record information check and the sex offender registry check were not available for staff 1 from Washington, DC.
2. The center director confirmed that all of the required out-of-state background checks were not completed for staff 1.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The required out-of-state background checks for staff 1 will be completed and the results will be forwarded to the licensing inspector. Going forward, the center will ensure that all out-of-state background checks are completed within the required timeframes.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each staff member shall submit documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening.
1. The record for staff 1 (date of hire: 5/3/22) does not contain documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening.
2. The center director confirmed that the record for staff 1 is lacking documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff 1 will obtain a TB screening and the results will be placed in the staff record. Going forward, center management will ensure that TB screenings are obtained within the required timeframe.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-245-J-3 Description: Based on record review and staff interviews, the center failed to ensure that any child for whom emergency medications have been prescribed shall always be in the care of a staff member who meets required medication administration training.
1. Child 1, age 8 months, has an allergy action plan on file for emergency administration of epinephrine. The inspector confirmed that the emergency medication was in the facility.
2. On 5/10/22, from 3:00pm until 3:35pm, there were no staff on duty at the facility who are trained in medication administration (MAT). Child 1 was in care at the center during that time.
3. Staff 2 (center director), who is MAT certified, confirmed she was out of the building conducting the bus run during that time and stated she is the only staff person at the center who is currently MAT certified.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center management is in the process of scheduling MAT training for four additional staff members.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-260-B Description: Based on a review of the most recent health inspection and interview, the center did not ensure that annual approval from the health department is provided.
1. Documentation of the most recent health inspection is dated 11/6/19.
2. The center director confirmed that the most recent health inspection is expired.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center management will contact the health department to schedule a health inspection.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that disposable diapers shall be disposed in a leakproof or plastic-lined storage system that is either foot operated or used in such a way that neither the staff member's hand nor the soiled diaper touches an exterior surface of the storage system during disposal.
1. The hands-free, foot operated trash can used to dispose of soiled disposable diapers in the infant classroom is not working; therefore, staff have to lift the lid of the bin with their hands in order to dispose of soiled diapers.
2. The staff in the infant classroom confirmed that the hands-free trash can used to dispose of soiled disposable diapers is broken.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A new hands-free trash can for disposable diapers will be purchased for the infant classroom.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.