Boys&Girls Club of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County-SouthRiver
2101 Elm Avenue
Grottoes, VA 24441
Current Inspector: Beth Orebaugh (540) 847-9173
Inspection Date: May 10, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 STAFF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
8VAC20-780 PHYSICAL PLANT
8VAC20-780 STAFFING AND SUPERVISION
8VAC20-780 SPECIAL CARE PROVISIONS AND EMERGENCIES
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced mandated inspection was completed on 05/09/2022 through 05/10/2022 from 2:58 p.m.-5:15 p.m. At the time of the inspection forty-seven children were in care with five staff present. Five children records, four staff records, required documentation, health inspection, fire inspection, and posted required information were reviewed and updated. Children were observed during arrival, snack, bathroom, homework, outdoor play, and free activity. Interactions with children and staff were observed as positive and the children seem comfortable in their daily routine and schedule. The exceptions to compliance are noted on the violation notice.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-2 Description: Based on review of staff records and discussion with the administrator, one staff member/volunteer record did not contain a completed criminal history record check before the date of volunteering/employment.
1. Interview with Staff D and Director confirmed Board Member (Staff D) was being used as staff in ratios.
2. Staff D was being used in ratio on 05/09/2022.
3. The record for Staff D did not have a criminal history record check on file.
4. The administrator confirmed they did not have a criminal history record check on file.
Plan of Correction: Administrator will make sure that any Board Member that choses to volunteer and count in ratio has a full staff record to include all background checks.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that an employee or volunteer was employed or provide volunteer service until the agency has the person's completed sworn statement or affirmation.
1. Staff D is a Board Member that was counting in ratio and being considered as staff. on 05/09/2022.
2. Staff D did not have a Sworn Statement on file during the record review.
3. Administration confirmed that Staff D did not have sworn statement on file.
Plan of Correction: Administration will make sure that every Board Member that choses to volunteer and count in ratio has a full staff record to include all background checks.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A-1 Description: Based on record review the center failed to ensure that each staff member submited documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening at the time of employment and prior to coming into contact with children.
1. Staff C and Staff D did not have a tuberculosis screening on file at the time of the inspection.
2. Staff C and Staff D's date of hire was 05/09/2022.
Plan of Correction: Site Director will make sure that the TB is in the staff file prior to date of hire.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review center failed to ensure that the following staff records were kept for each staff person.
1. Staff C and Staff D did not have name, address, verification of age requirement, job title, and date of employment or volunteering; and name, address, and telephone number of a person to be notified in an emergency.
2. Staff B, and Staff C did not have documentation that two or more references were checked prior to employment.
3. Staff B, Staff C, and Staff D did not have documentation to prove education certification, and experience required by the job position.
4. Staff B, Staff C, and Staff D's date of hire was 05/09/2022.
Plan of Correction: Site Director will be sure to have all the correct paperwork on file prior to staff hire date.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-B Description: Based on record review the center failed to ensure that the orientation training was completed prior to the staff member working alone with children.
1. Staff C and Staff D were left alone in classroom at approximately 3:05 pm until 3:14 pm while another staff member gathered snack and took children to the restroom.
Plan of Correction: Site Director will be sure to have staff complete orientation prior being left alone with children and within 7 days of hire.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.