Children of America (Winchester), LLC
631 West Jubal Early Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: July 1, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A mandated renewal inspection was conducted on 07/01/2022 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. There were 56 children present, ranging in ages from 5 months to 12 years old and 13 staff present. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of 6 child records and 7 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to obtain an out of state Abuse and Neglect Registry Check within 30 days of employment.
1. Staff #3?s address on file confirmed that the staff member live in another state.
2. Staff #3 confirmed that they currently resided in another state.
3. Staff #3?s first day of employment was 05/17/2022.
4. There was no out of state Central Registry check in the employees file for the state they currently reside in.
5. Staff #8 confirmed that the background check was not complete.
Plan of Correction: Background check was completed on 7/1/22 during visit and mailed out on 7/2/22.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-G Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to obtain a birth certificate or reliable proof of birth of the child?s identity and age within two days of enrollment.
1. Child #3?s file did not contain the appropriate documentation of the child?s identity.
2. The child?s first day of attendance was 03/17/2021.
3. Staff #8 confirmed that the required documenting was not obtained within two days of the child?s start date.
Plan of Correction: Parent was called and given 5 days to provide correct proof of birth.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all hazardous substances were kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. In classroom #1, a can of shaving cream was observed on the bottom shelf of an unlocked cabinet. Staff #1 confirmed that shaving cream with not in a locked place.
2. In classroom #4, the cabinet that contained the bleach spray bottles was unlocked and sanitizing wipes were on the counter.
3. In classroom #6, a can of shaving cream was not in a locked place and was within reach of the children. Staff #9 confirmed that the shaving cream was not in a locked place.
Plan of Correction: Classroom #1 was retrained on where to keep hazardous substance after use. Classroom #4 was retrained on where to keep cleaning supplies.
Classroom #6, teacher was retrained on keeping shaving cream locked.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all sunscreen was not kept beyond the expiration date of the product.
1. In classroom #3, four sunscreens were expired and being kept at the center.
Plan of Correction: Expired sunscreen was send home. Staff was retrained on how to check for expiration.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that all sunscreen was labeled with the child?s name.
In classroom #1, nine sunscreens were observed to be without names.
Plan of Correction: Teacher was retrained on how to label sunscreen.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.