Bundle of Joy - Atlee
9550 Kings Charter Drive
Ashland, VA 23005
Current Inspector: LaTasha Smith (804) 588-2362
Inspection Date: July 6, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced complaint inspection was initiated on 7/6/2022 in response to a complaint that was received by the licensing department on 6/29/2022 regarding allegations in the areas of operational responsibilities, supervision of children, and transportation and field trips. The inspection was initiated on 7/6/2022 and completed on 7/11/2022. On 7/6/2022, two inspectors were on site from 1:51 pm to 3:00 pm. Interviews with staff were completed, observations were made in the center, and documentation was reviewed. Additional interviews were conducted remotely.
The preponderance of the evidence gathered during the investigation supports part of the allegation; therefore, the complaint is determined to be valid. In addition to the original complaint, there were also violations found during the inspection regarding background checks. See the violation notice for more details. If you have any questions about this inspection, please contact the licensing inspector at (540) 430-0384.
Please complete the plan of correction and date to be corrected for each violation cited on the violation notice and return it to me within 5 business days from today. You will need to specify how the deficient practice will be or has been corrected. Just writing the word corrected is not acceptable. Your plan of correction must contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standard(s), 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again; and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measures. Please do not use staff names; list staff by positions only.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain the results of a central registry background check within 30 days of employment for 1 staff as required.
1. The record of staff #1 (DOH: 5/17/2022) did not contain central registry results.
2. Administration acknowledged that the central registry was not received within the required time frame.
Plan of Correction: We have placed reminders on our calendar to follow up with new hire background checks prior to the 30 day mark.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-E Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on review of documentation and interviews, the center did not maintain compliance with the center's own policies and procedures that are required by these standards.
1. The center?s sunscreen policy states, ?Bundle of Joy will apply sunscreen to children as needed with written permission from parents or guardians? parents are asked to apply the first coat of sunscreen each day before the child is dropped off.? In interview, Staff #1 (DOH: 5/17/2022) reported that sunscreen was not applied to child #1 during the field trip because the sunscreen was accidentally left back at the center during the field trip. Staff #1 acknowledged that the sunscreen would have been reapplied after lunch and before the afternoon outdoor activities if they had access to the sunscreen.
2. Administration acknowledged that the policy to reapply sunscreen as needed was not followed due to the sunscreen not being transported to the field trip.
Plan of Correction: Our field trip checklist has been updated to ensure sunscreen is taken on all field trips.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on review of documentation and interview, the center did not ensure that while supervising children, they always ensured their care and protection.
1. On 6/29/2022, child #1 (age 6) participated in a field trip where he sustained a sun burn that covered areas on his chest, back and shoulders. Photo documentation was reviewed that showed blistering on the child?s right shoulder. The child?s burn was discovered and treated at home with burn cream and bandages.
2. Administration acknowledged that child #1 removed his shirt during the field trip to engage in water play activities. The center did not apply sunscreen to the child during the trip. Staff #1 reported that the field trip started around 9:30 am and ended around 2:30pm. Administration and staff stated that during that time, the children participated in several water play activities outdoors.
Plan of Correction: Our field trip procedure checklist has been updated to ensure sunscreen is taken on all outdoor field trips.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.