3925 Old Buckingham Road
Powhatan, VA 23139
Current Inspector: Jennifer Moore (540) 430-0384
Inspection Date: July 19, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies.
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minors records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
22.1 Early Childhood Care and Education
An unannounced monitoring inspection was initiated and concluded on 07/19/2022. The inspector was on site from 10:40 am-1:00 pm. There were 17 children present, ranging in ages from 2 years to 11 years, with 4 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies, nutrition and background checks. A total of 5 child records and 5 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Please complete the plan of correction and date to be corrected for each violation cited on the violation notice and return it to me within 5 business days from today. You will need to specify how the deficient practice will be or has been corrected. Just writing the word corrected is not acceptable. Your plan of correction must contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standard(s), 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again; and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measures. Please do not use staff names; list staff by positions only.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-A Description: Based on a review of 5 children's records and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain documentation that 1 child had received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the first date of attendance as required.
1. The record of child #3 (DOE:08/23/2021) contained an immunization record dated 08/24/2021.
2. Administration acknowledged that the immunization record was received late.
Plan of Correction: I as the administrator will ensure that any child attending will have all their immunizations records and all paperwork completed before the first day.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on a review of 5 staff records and interview, the center did not ensure to obtain documentation of a negative tuberculosis (TB) screening at the time of employment and prior to coming into contact with children for 1 staff as required.
1. The record of staff #3 (DOH:11/29/2021) contained a TB screening dated 12/15/2021.
2. Administration acknowledged that the screening was not submitted at the time of employment.
Plan of Correction: When a new employee is hired, I will ensure that all the proper paperwork is done and completed before they come in contact with any children.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on a review of 5 staff records and interview, the center did not ensure that 2 records contained the required information.
1. The record of staff #3 (DOH: 11/29/2021) did not contain documentation that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment.
2. The records of staff #2 (DOH:06/28/2022) and staff #5 (DOH:08/23/2021) did not contain documentation to demonstrate that the staff possessed the education, certification and training required by the position. Both staff were listed and identified themselves as program leaders.
3. Administration acknowledged that the records were incomplete.
Plan of Correction: Administration will make sure all proper paper work is completed prior to hiring. All qualifications will be obtained to be a lead teacher- all records will be kept by administrator
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition. Unsafe conditions shall include, but not be limited to, splintered, cracked or otherwise deteriorating wood; chipped or peeling paint; visible cracks, bending or warping, rusting or breakage of any equipment; head entrapment hazards; and protruding nails, bolts or other components that could entangle clothing or snag skin.
1. An area of chipped and peeling paint was observed on the double doors in the front classroom in an area accessible to children.
2. Administration acknowledged that the paint was peeling and stated that a work order had been placed to fix it.
Plan of Correction: There was already a work order in place to have the areas of chipped and peeling paint to be repainted. This will include the double yellow doors.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that hazardous substances such as cleaning materials were kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. In the three/four year old classroom, an unlocked container of sanitizing wipes were observed. The wipes contained the warnings caution and hazard to humans. In the children's bathroom a container of air freshener spray was observed in an unlocked cabinet. The spray contained the warnings: danger, flammable and harmful or fatal if swallowed. In the two year old classroom, a bottle of unlocked bleach and water solution was observed.
2. Administration acknowledged that the hazardous substances were not locked.
Plan of Correction: I as the administrator have already held a meeting as of 7/20/2022 to go over the rules for storing cleaning supplies. These rules will be told to all employees at the start of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-290-A-3 Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that electrical outlets had protective covers that are of a size that cannot be swallowed by children.
1. In the school age/preschool classroom, two outlets were observed without covers.
2. Administration acknowledged that the outlets were missing the protective covers.
Plan of Correction: I as the administrator will check daily that all outlets are covered and replace with outlet covers if they are not. Will make sure staff also checks daily.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-P Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure to maintain a complete written record of children's serious and minor injuries in which entries are made the day of occurrence.
1. On 10/26/2021, an injury report was documented for child #4. (DOE:8/23/2021) The report was missing the future action to prevent recurrence of the injury.
2. Administration acknowledged that the injury report did not contain all of the required information.
Plan of Correction: I the administrator will make sure all staff is filling out the accident reports correctly, that is with all spaces filled in, have parents sign in front of us and not take them with them.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.