Brilliant Beginnings Learning Center III
3740 Holland Road
Virginia beach, VA 23452
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: Aug. 8, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Reviewed standards regarding broken toys.
Reviewed standards regarding lead teacher qualifications.
Reviewed standards of emergency 24 hour supplies.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on August 8, 2022. The inspectors arrived at 10:35 AM and departed at approximately 1PM. There were 80 children present and 15 staff members. A sample size of 16 records were reviewed which included 8 children?s records and 8staff records. The Inspectors observed staff and children?s interactions throughout the inspection. Children were observed during group activity, free play, handwashing, diapering, lunch and naptime. First aid kits and emergency preparedness documents were observed. Transportation vans were observed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented. The violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were reviewed with the site owner at the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that each child have a physical examination before the child's attendance or within 30 days after the first day of attendance.
1. Child #1 (date of enrollment 1/12/21) has their physical dated 7/9/21 which is outside of the required timeframe.
2. Child #3 (date of enrollment 5/31/21) has no physical examination in their record.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that Child #1 did not have documentation of the child?s physical in the required timeframe.
4. Staff #1 confirmed that there was no physical examination in the record for Child #3.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 will obtain the physical examination from the parent for Child #3. Moving forward, Staff #1 will ensure that all physical examinations for children are in their record within 30 days of attendance.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that staff submit documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening.
1. Staff #3 (date of hire 8/8/22) did not have a tuberculosis screening to their record and was present at the center working with children.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that Staff #3 did not have a tuberculosis screening completed prior to working with children.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 had Staff #3 clock out and obtain a tuberculosis screening prior to returning to the center to work with children.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that each child enrolled contain the name, address, and phone number of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached.
1. Child #2 (date of enrollment 7/25/22) did not have an address for one of the two required emergency contacts listed to their record.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that there was no address listed for the emergency contact for Child #2.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 will email the parent today and obtain the emergency contact address for Child #2.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that for staff hired after March 1, 1996, documentation that two or more references as to character and reputation as well as competency were checked before employment or volunteering.
1. Staff #2 (date of hire 7/13/22) had only one of the two required reference checks to their record.
2. Staff #4 (date of hire 4/26/22) had only one of the two required reference checks to their record.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that both Staff #2 and Staff #4 were both missing one reference check as to character and reputation as well as competency before employment.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 will complete an additional reference check for both Staff #2 and Staff #4 and place the documentation in their records.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure the areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. The play structure on the large playground had an approximate 10 inch crack to the plastic exterior posing a possible injury to a child.
3. Staff #1 confirmed the playground play structure was not maintained in a safe condition.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 will place electrical tape temporarily to the damaged part of the play structure and contact the manufacturer for a replacement piece.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-290-A-3 Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that electrical outlets have protective covers that are of a size that cannot be swallowed by children.
1. In the 2 year old classroom, there were no protective covers to the electrical outlets that were in reach of children.
2. Staff #1 confirmed there were no protective covers to the electrical outlets in the 2 year old classroom.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: During the inspection, Staff #1 immediately placed protective covers to the outlets.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.