1431 Edenway North
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Current Inspector: Adrianna Walden (757) 404-2487
Inspection Date: Aug. 15, 2022
Complaint Related: No
A monitoring inspection was conducted on 08/16/2022 as a result of a self-report in the area of supervision. Interviews were conducted with staff, records reviewed and observations of the program were made relating to the allegation. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Description: Based on interviews and a record review, the center did not ensure the care, protection and guidance of children when supervising them.
1. On 08/16/2022 child #1 was pushed by another child. When he fell, child #1 hit the side of his head on the leg of a wooden chair resulting in a cut that was bleeding.
2. At the time of the injury the classroom was not in compliance with the required ratio of 1:8. Staff #1 was supervising 10 two year-old children at the time of the incident (1:10)
3. When staff #2 arrived, staff #1 left to take child #1 to the director's office for additional first aid, leaving the classroom out of compliance with a 1:10 ratio.
Plan of Correction: Staff will be retrained on how to call for management during a child injury, versus leaving a classroom out of ratio. This training will occur on or before 8/25/22
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-3 Description: Based on interviews and record review, the center did not ensure the required ratio of 1:8 was maintained in the 2 year-old classroom.
1. According to the center's "Face-to-Name" sheet, on 08/16/2022, the 2 year-old classroom was out of ratio for about 11 minutes, around or about 7:56am-8:07am.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that morning the classroom was out of ratio from around 7:56am when the 9th child arrived and had a total of 10 children by the time staff #2 entered the room around or about 8:09am.
3. The program director confirmed that morning staff #2 was running later for her shift.
Plan of Correction: Staff will be retrained on or before 8/25/22 to notify management when they are about to go over ratio to prevent reoccurrence. Management will also manage the floor more closely during drop off and pick up times.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.