Haygood KinderCare #300940
4621 Crossborough Rd.
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: June 10, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
An investigation was initiated on 6/3/22 and concluded on 8/23/22 in response to a complaint received by the department regarding concerns in the areas of supervision and behavior guidance. The investigation was conducted jointly with the local agency. On-site inspections were conducted on 6/10/22 and 8/23/22 and interviews with staff were completed. Documentation and records related to the complaint were also reviewed. Based on information gathered during the investigation, the portion of the complaint regarding behavior guidance is determined to be valid. Violations are cited on the violation notice provided to the center and were discussed with the center director at the conclusion of the investigation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-D Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and staff interviews, the center did not ensure that in each grouping of children at least one staff member who meets the qualifications of a program leader shall be regularly present.
1. In the school-age classroom, there was no lead teacher scheduled to be present from 2:30pm until 5:00pm.
2. Staff 1 stated he was the assistant in the school-aged classroom and had been employed at the center for 5 months. Staff 1 stated he had no prior experience working with children.
3.Center management confirmed that staff 1 (date of hire: 1/12/22) was not lead teacher qualified and was regularly scheduled to work alone in the school-aged classroom from 2:30pm until 5:00pm.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center management will ensure there is a qualified lead teacher regularly scheduled in all classrooms. Staff 1 has since become qualified to be a lead teacher.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on staff interviews and a review of center documents, the center did not ensure that behavioral guidance shall be constructive in nature, age and stage appropriate and shall be intended to redirect children to appropriate behavior and resolve conflicts.
1. Staff reported that on 3/2/22, staff 2 poured water from a water bottle down the pants of child 1, age 4 years, because he was in the wrong classroom and would not got back to his class when asked.
2. Staff 1 stated that he was working in the school-age classroom and child 1 "hopped" over the gate to the two's classroom and began running around the room. Staff 1 reported that staff 2 (two's teacher) told child 1 "This is why you need to stay in your classroom" and then proceeded to pour water down the back of his pants. Staff 1 stated he asked staff 2 why she would do something like that and she replied "It's okay. It will dry". Staff 1 reported the water was enough to cover the bottom of child 1's shirt and saturate his pants.
3. Staff 2 reported that child 1 came into the two's class after being told not to come in and was running around the classroom. Staff 2 reported that she poured a small amount of water from her water bottle down the back of child 1's pants after repeatedly asking him to go back to his class and stated she "thought it was a joke" between her and the children.
4. Center management confirmed that staff 2 poured water down child 1's pants because he would not leave the two's classroom when asked and that staff 2 did not demonstrate appropriate behavior guidance in the classroom.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center management conducted a full investigation of the incident as soon as it was reported and spoke with staff and children who witnessed the incident. Staff 2 was terminated from employment. Center management has had additional trainings with staff on appropriate behavior guidance in the classroom.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.