Chester Child Development Center
13600 Happy Hill Road
Chester, VA 23831
Current Inspector: Molly Muscat (804) 588-2367
Inspection Date: Feb. 25, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
A monitoring inspection was initiated in response to a self-reported incident concerning forbidden action that occurred at the center on February 22, 2022. The investigation was initiated on February 25, 2022 and completed on August 29, 2022. On February 25, 2022, an unannounced virtual inspection was conducted jointly with a local agency. Interviews were completed and documentation was reviewed. On June 15, 2022, the inspector conducted an unannounced inspection from 3:40pm to approximately 4:30pm. Interviews were completed, observations were made in the center, and documentation was reviewed. Additional interviews were conducted off-site and additional information was submitted to the inspector electronically. The evidence gathered during the investigation supported the self-report of non-compliance with standards or law and violations were issued.
Please complete the 'plan of correction' and 'date to be corrected' for each violation cited on the violation notice and return it to me within 5 business days from the date of receipt. Please specify how the deficient practice will be or has been corrected. Your plan of correction should contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standards, 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again, and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measure(s).
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-410-1 Description: Based on written statements and interviews, the center did not ensure that staff did not use a forbidden action of striking and rough handling a child.
Evidence: 1) On 02/22/2022, Staff #1 was observed, by two staff members, striking and roughly handling Child #1 (two years old).
2) In a written statement dated 02/22/2022, Staff #2 stated: ?On the playground I saw another teacher [Staff #1] pick up [Child #1] by one arm because she was crying and then she placed her on the wooden timber out on the playground. She was still crying so then [Staff #1] hit her on her cheek.?
3) In a written statement dated 02/22/2022, Staff #3 stated: ?[Child #1] was throwing a tantrum. [Staff #1] picked her up by one arm and put her on the wood that lines the playground. [Child #1] was still screaming and [Staff #1] smacked her in the face.?
4) During interview, management stated Staff #1 was escorted out of the center because she was observed grabbing Child #1 by one arm and with an ?open hand? making contact with the child?s cheek.
Plan of Correction: Per the Center: "1) Staff was terminated immediately
2) Staff meeting mandatory - reminding all staff of appropriate behavior handling children in our care.
3) Staff were reminded of action which will be taken if any staff should mishandle any child in our care."
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.