Children of America (Winchester), LLC
631 West Jubal Early Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Aug. 24, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An announced, non-mandated focused inspection was conducted on 08/24/2022 from 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. in response to a self-report made on 08/11/2022 about an unknown cause of injury to a child. 3 staff interviews were conducted with Child Protective Service. 1 classroom was observed with 8 children and 2 staff members present. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of physical plant, staffing and supervision, special care and emergencies. A total of 1 child record and 2 staff records were reviewed. Another visit was conducted on 08/25/2022 from 7:55 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. 36 children were present with 9 staff supervising.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 22.1-289.036 Description: Based on interviews and review of records, the organization failed to ensure fingerprint background checks were completed for new board members within 30 days of appointment.
1. Staff #1 and Board Member #2 confirmed that Board Member #1?s last day of appointment to the Board was 04/04/4022.
2. Staff #1 and Board Member #2 confirmed that Board Member #2 assumed the responsibilities for Board Member #1 on 04/05/2022.
3. Board Member #2 confirmed that they had not completed a fingerprint background check.
Plan of Correction: New staff member has been assigned and background checks are in the process of being completed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-410-2 Description: Based on interviews, review of documents and observation, the center allowed a forbidden action to occur by confining children into a space that they could not freely exit themselves.
1. On 08/25/2022, the Licensing Inspector observed 2 children strapped into a stroller near the front desk at 7:55 a.m. Child #1 was observed in the 5 point harness wiggling and had the left arm partially out of the strap.
2. Interviews with 5 staff revealed that each day, at the time of drop off, children that are assigned to classroom #1 are placed in the stroller until the staff assigned to classroom #1 arrives.
3. Staff #3, who was assigned to Classroom #1, was observed walking child #1 and child #2 into classroom # 1 at approximately 8:10 a.m.
4. Review of the timesheet shows staff #3 clocked in at 8:05 a.m. on 08/25/2022.
5. Review of attendance sheets revealed that on 08/25/2022, child #1 was dropped off at 7:20 a.m. and child #2 was dropped off at 7:54 a.m.
Plan of Correction: As of 8/26/2022 the staff schedule has been adjusted so that children go directly to a classroom upon arrival
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.