Hallwood Head Start
28281 Main Street
Hallwood, VA 23359
Current Inspector: Christopher Robinson (757) 404-2322
Inspection Date: Sept. 7, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance was provided in the following areas of the standards: Background checks, child records, staff records, Program Leader qualifications, supervision, emergency drills, transportation, attendance, building maintenance, medication, and allergies.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted on 9/7/22 from 11:00am - 12:15pm at the center. During the inspection there were 36 children ages three years old through five years old in care with 7 staff. Children were observed participating in various activities in the classrooms and eating lunch. Records were reviewed for five children while at the center and ten staff at the central office on 9/7/22. Medication, emergency procedures, emergency supplies and transportation procedures were also reviewed during the inspection. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance(s) with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program and discussed during the interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on a review of ten staff records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that all employees before five years since the dates of the last most recent criminal history record check complete an updated criminal history record check.
1. The record for staff #5 contained a search of the central registry record check that was more than five years old.
2. Staff #6 reviewed the record for staff #5 and confirmed that an updated search of the central registry record check was not available for viewing during the inspection for staff #5.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: Staff #5 had previously completed an updated search of the central registry, but we were unable to locate it during the inspection. if we can't locate the results then staff #5 will complete a new search of the central registry and the results will be forwarded to the Licensing Inspector once they are received.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-2 Description: Based on a review of ten staff records, it was determined that the facility did not ensure that an employee is allowed to begin employment without a completed national criminal history record check (finger printing).
1. The record for staff #1, working during the inspection, did not contain documentation of a completed national criminal history record check (finger printing).
2. Staff #6 reviewed the record for the staff #1 and confirmed that she did not have the results of the finger print background check (finger printing) available for viewing during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: We were unable to locate the criminal record check for staff #1 during the inspection. Staff #1 has been scheduled to complete a new criminal record check and the results will be forwarded to the Licensing Inspector.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A-8 Description: Based on a review of seven child records, it was determined that the licensee did not ensure that a written care plan for each child with a diagnosed food allergy, to include instructions from a physician regarding the food to which the child is allergic and the steps to be taken in the event of a suspected or confirmed allergic reaction is maintained at the center.
1. The record for child #6 had information that stated child #6 was allergic to peanuts, but the record did not contain an allergy plan.
2. The record for child #7 had information that stated child #6 was allergic to shellfish, but the record did not contain an allergy plan.
3. Staff #5 confirmed that neither child had an allergy plan even though both children had a diagnosed food allergy.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: The parents of each child will be asked to provide a allergy plan from the child's physician.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-I Description: Based on a review of the medication currently stored at the center, it was determined that the licensee did not ensure that there is a current written authorization to administer medication.
1. There was no current written parent authorization to administer medication for the medication for child #6.
2. There was no current written parent authorization to administer medication for the medication for child #7.
3. Staff #5 confirmed that there not a current written parent authorization to administer medication for child #6 and child #7.
Plan of Correction: The facility responded: the parents of each child will be asked to complete a new written authorization to administer medication.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.