46386 Logan Way
Sterling, VA 20165
Current Inspector: Stacy Doyle (571) 835-0386
Inspection Date: Sept. 15, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed the written attendance records and keeping them updated as children arrive. The electronic version is ok as long as it is updated. Discussed the allergy list and the need to be current and available to all staff for all children enrolled in the center. Discussed the feeding tables and the need for the belts to be used.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 9/15/2022 from 10:23am to 12:48pm. At the time of entrance, 34 children were in care with 8 staff members present. Children were observed doing the following: coloring at the table, washing hands after bathroom break, playing with toys, working on a learning activity using an ipad with the teacher, eating snack, getting ready to go outside and playing outside. Interactions between the children and staff were positive. A selection of staff and children records, the physical space, evacuation drills and attendance records were reviewed. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at Stacy.Doyle@doe.virginia.gov or 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on review of four staff records, the center did not have the search of the child abuse and neglect from any state in which the individual had resided in the preceding five years and did not request it by the 30th day of employment..
1. Staff #1 (start date 6/28/2022) lived in another State (Missouri) in the last 5 years and the center did not send for the Child Abuse and Neglect for that State.
Plan of Correction: An out of state background check will be completed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on review of four children's records, the center did not have documentation of a physical in each child's file prior to or within 30 days of first attendance.
1. Child #3 (start date 4/18/2022) did not have a copy of the child's physical in the file.
Plan of Correction: An additional reminder will be sent to the family requesting this document which has already been requested multiple times.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-150-B Description: Based on review of four children's records, the center did not have immunizations for a child before the child attended the center signed by a physician, his designee, or an official of a local health department.
1. The center had an immunization record for Child #3 (start date 4/18/2022), but it was not signed and dated by a physician, his designee, or an official of a local health department,.
Plan of Correction: We will advise the parent the printout of the child's record is insufficient and will request a signature on the school entrance form.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A-8 Description: Based on review, the center did not have a written care plan for each child with a diagnosed food allergy, to include instructions from a physician regarding the food to which the child is allergic and the steps to be taken in the event of a suspected or confirmed allergic reaction.
1. Child #3 had a diagnosed food allergy. The center did not have a written care plan for the child to include instructions from a physician regarding the food to which the child is allergic and the steps to be taken in the event of a suspected or confirmed allergic reaction.
Plan of Correction: There is lack of clarity whether this is a diagnosed allergy or an intolerance. We will request a doctor's note and if an action plan is required, one will be completed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, hazardous substanceswere not kept in a locked place using a safe
locking method that prevent access by children.
1. In the Panda Class, a bottle of bleach water was inside an unlocked cabinet.
2. In the Kitchen, a bottle of bleach water and disinfectant was on top of a cabinet by the sink and not locked. The kitchen door was open.
3. In the Elephant B classroom, a bottle of bleach water was inside an unlocked cabinet.
Plan of Correction: A reminder to all staff will be done and additional training provided to the two staff members involved in this violation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-820-120-E-2 Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not have the most recent inspection findings of the facility posted.
1. The inspection summary was posted, but the violation notice was not posted from the inspection dated 7/05/2022. Staff A stated they had taken it off the board yesterday and was on their desk.
Plan of Correction: The inspection notice was taken down moments before the inspector arrived and will be posted immediately.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.