KinderCare Learning Centers #000540
8604 Pohick Road
Springfield, VA 22153
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sawyer (571) 835-0599
Inspection Date: Sept. 13, 2022
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (22VAC40-191)
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Licensing inspector discussed an intensive plan of correction with the director.
A complaint was received into the licensing office on 09/08/2022 regarding the care and protection of children. An on-site investigation was conducted, observations were made, documents were reviewed, and staff were interviewed. The preponderance of evidence gathered supports the allegation and the complaint has been deemed valid. It is the responsibility of the licensee to demonstrate ongoing compliance with the standards. Should you have any questions, please email me at Kimberly.Sawyer@doe.virginia.gov.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and documents reviewed, when staff were supervising children, they did not always ensure their care, protection, and guidance.
1) On 09/07/2022 at approximately 4:45pm, Child A slipped off of the playground equipment and hit their chin on the ground.
2) Staff A, B and C stated they observed blood on the lip of the Child A.
3) Photo?s received from the parent of Child A depicted blood on the chin of Child A.
4) Staff A, B and C stated that first aid was not administered for Child A?s injury.
5) The mother of Child A stated Child A received medical attention for their injuries..
Plan of Correction: Re-trained staff on first aid policies regarding children.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews, children under 10 years of age were not always within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1) On 09/07/2022, following Child A?s fall, Child A was left alone in a classroom with a person contracted by the parent whom is not employed by the facility (Person A).
2) Staff A and Staff B stated Person A and other contracted individuals would often take Child A away from the group and facility staff.
3) Person A and other contracted individuals did not have written authorization to be alone with the child.
Plan of Correction: Re-training of staff regarding sight and sound supervision of children at all times, even when an aide is working with the child.
Written form for parents to sign when an outside aide is utilized, to be kept on file.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.