Kiddie Korner Day Care, Inc.
2941 Walkerton Landing Road
Walkerton, VA 23177
Current Inspector: Heather Dapper (804) 625-2304
Inspection Date: Aug. 15, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
- Technical Assistance:
A renewal inspection was initiated on August 15, 2022 and concluded on August 23, 2022. There were 38 children present with 10 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of five child records and seven staff records, annual fire and health inspections, fire drill, lockdown drill and shelter in place drill logs, daily attendance and all required postings were reviewed. The provider stated that transportation is provided and the bus and transportation documents were reviewed. The provider stated that the van is no longer used for transportation. The center administers medication; however they did not have any being given at this time.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Please complete the plan of correction and the date to be corrected for each violation listed on the violation notice and return it to the department within 5 business days from receipt. Your plan of correction should contain: 1) steps to correct the noncompliance with the standard(s); 2) measures to prevent the noncompliance from occurring again; and 3) person(s) responsible for implementing each step and/or monitoring any preventative measures.
Office of Child Care Health and Safety
Division of Early Childhood Care and Education
Phone# (804) 625-2304
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not have documentation of central registry findings for one staff member.
1.The record for staff #7 (hire date 10/14/16) did not contain documentation of central registry findings.
2. A member of management confirmed that staff #7 did not have the results of central registry update.
Plan of Correction: The central registry was received by the department on August 23, 2022.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-245-A Description: Based on review of staff records, the center did not ensure that each staff member will complete annually a minimum of 16 hours of training appropriate to the age of the children in care.
1. The record for staff #2 (hire date: 6/21/16) contained documentation of 8.5 hours of annual training.
2. The record for staff # 6 (hire date: 1/01/21) contained documentation of 8.5 hours of annual training.
3. The record for staff #7 (date of hire: 10/14/16) did not contain documentation of annual training.
Plan of Correction: Staff #2, 6, 7 annual training will be updated and ongoing training continued.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-530-A-1 Description: Based on record review and staff interviews, the licensee did not ensure that at least one staff with each group of children had current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as appropriate to the age of the children in care from an organization such as the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, American Safety and Health Institute, or National Safety Council. The training shall include an in-person competency demonstration.
1. The record for staff #3 (hire date: 6/13/22) did not contain documentation of current certification in CPR. Staff #3 was the only staff member in room #3 with four preschool age children.
2. The record for staff #7 (hire date 10/14/16) did not contain documentation of current certification in CPR. Staff #7 is a substitute and a bus driver.
Plan of Correction: All previous staff is now certified in CPR/First Aid New staff dated to have CPR/First Aid on October 24, 2022.
Staff #7 is now current with CPR/First Aid 9/10/2022 bus driver
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-530-A-2 Description: Based on record review and staff interviews, the licensee did not ensure that at least one staff with each group of children had current certification in first aid from an organization such as the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, American Safety and Health Institute, or National Safety Council.
1. The record for staff #3 (hire date: 6/13/22) did not contain documentation of current certification in first aid. Staff #3 was the only staff member in room #3 with four preschool age children.
2. The record for staff #7 (hire date 10/14/16) did not contain documentation of current certification in first aid. Staff #7 is a substitute and a bus driver.
Plan of Correction: Staff #3 now certified in CPR/First Aid Staff #3, staff #7 certification complete
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-K Description: Based on review of documentation and interview the center did not ensure that the bus used to transport children had all required documents.
1. Bus #1, did not have contain documentation local emergency contact information, potential shelters, hospitals, evacuation routes, etc., that pertain to each site frequently visited or of routes frequently driven by center staff for center business such as field trips, pickup/drop off of children to or from schools, etc. This document must be kept in vehicles that centers use to transport children to and from the center.
2. A member of management, staff #2, confirmed that required documentation and up to date information was not documented in the vehicle used to transport children.
Plan of Correction: Bus Roster and update information has been placed in the notebook on the bus.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.