KCE Champions LLC @ Sewells Poiint Elementary
7928 Hampton Boulevard
Norfolk, VA 23505
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: Oct. 11, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Technical Assistance given and the licensing standards were reviewed regarding files and postings in facility.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted on October 11, 2022 from 7:15am to 9am. There were 18 children present and two staff members. A sample size of 9 records were reviewed which included six children?s records and three staff records. The Inspector observed staff and children?s interactions throughout the inspection. Children were observed during free play, coloring, morning snack, and start of breakfast. First aid kits and emergency preparedness documents were observed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented. The violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were reviewed with the site director at the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-A Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that each child has received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the child can attend the center.
1. Child #1 (date of enrollment 10/5/2022) did not have a copy of their immunization record in their file prior to their start date.
2. Child #2 (date of enrollment 10/5/2022) did not have a copy of their immunization record in their file prior to their start date.
3. Child #3 (date of enrollment 09/05/2022) did not have a copy of their immunization record in their file prior to their start date.
4. Staff #1 confirmed that there was no immunization records for Child #1, Child #2, and Child #3 prior to their start date.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff will obtain the immunizations for Child #1, Child #2, and Child #3 as they have doctor?s appointment on 10/12/2022. Moving forward, Staff will ensure that immunization records are in the record and obtained prior to their first day at the center.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that each child keep at the center a separate record for each child enrolled which shall contain: work phone number and place of employment of each parent who has custody and the address of two designated people to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached.
1. Child #1 (date of enrollment 10/5/2022) and Child #2 (date of enrollment 10/5/2022) did not have work telephone numbers for their custodial parent.
2. Child #4 (date of enrollment 9/05/2022) did not have the address for both emergency contacts.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that there was no phone numbers for Child #1 and Child #2 as well as no emergency contact addresses for Child #4.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff will ensure that the phone numbers are obtained for Child #1 and Child #2 as well as the addresses for Child #4?s emergency contact. Staff #1 will go through the children?s files to ensure that all information is provided as requested per licensing.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-D Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determine that the center did not ensure that evacuation drills were practiced monthly.
1. There were no documented evacuation drills for this school year starting September 2022.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that no evacuation drills were practiced for this school year.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 will ensure that a practice evacuation drill will be conducted this month and moving forward drills will be completed monthly.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.