Haygood KinderCare #300940
4621 Crossborough Rd.
Virginia beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Oct. 17, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A monitoring inspection was conducted on 10/17/22 from 10:40am until 1:50pm. At the time of the inspection, there were 55 children in care with 12 staff present. A sample of 5 children's records and 5 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed participating in learning activities, eating lunch and resting quietly during nap time. Lunch service, infant feeding, diapering, handwashing and restroom procedures were also observed. First aid and emergency supplies, the emergency preparedness plan, documentation of emergency practice drills, medication, transportation, and required center postings were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law. Violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program and discussed with the center director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that a search of the child abuse and neglect registry or equivalent registry is obtained from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff 1 has a hire date of 11/15/21. Staff 1 indicated on her sworn statement or affirmation that she has resided in the state of South Carolina within the past five years. The results of a central registry search from the state of South Carolina was not available for staff 1.
2. The center owner confirmed that the central registry search for staff 1 from the state of South Carolina has not been requested.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Center management completed the online form for the out of state central registry search for staff 1 on the day of the inspection. Once the results are received, they will be forwarded to the licensing inspector.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that documentation that each child has received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health are obtained before the child can attend the center.
1. The record for child 1 (date of enrollment: 9/27/22) does not contain documentation of immunizations.
2. The center director confirmed that the record for child 1 is lacking documentation of immunizations.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The parent of child 1 has been contacted to obtain a copy of the child's most recent immunization record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each staff member shall submit documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening at the time of employment and prior to coming into contact with children.
1. Staff 2 has a documented date of hire of 11/16/21. Documentation of a tuberculosis screening for staff 2 was not obtained by the center until 2/2/22.
2. The center director confirmed that the TB screening for staff 2 was not obtained until after staff 2 began employment and after coming into contact with children.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Going forward, center management will ensure TB screenings are obtained within the required timeframes.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that children's records contain all the required information.
1. The records for child 1 (date of enrollment: 9/27/22) and child 2 (date of enrollment: 6/19/22) do not contain documentation of viewing proof of the child's identity and age.
2. The record for child 3 (date of enrollment: 2/22/21) contains only one name, address and phone number of a designated person to call in an emergency if the parent cannot be reached, where two are required.
3. The center director confirmed that the records for child 1, child 2 and child 3 are lacking the above missing information.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The missing information from child 1, child 2 and child 3's records will be obtained from the parents and placed in each child's record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. The laminate countertop at the sink in the infant room has a large area that is peeling off and has exposed particleboard that is crumbling.
2. The center director confirmed that the sink countertop in the infant room is not in a clean and safe condition.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A work order will be placed to repair the countertop in the infant classroom.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation, the center did not ensure that a nonabsorbent surface for diapering or changing shall be used.
The diaper changing pad in the infant classroom has a tear, approximately 2 inches in length, to the outer material, exposing the absorbent material underneath.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A new diaper changing pad had been ordered for the infant room.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-E Description: Based on a review of medication and interview, the center did not ensure that the center's procedures for administering medication shall include methods to prevent the use of outdated medication.
1. There is an emergency asthma medication for a child in care being stored at the center with an expiration date of September 2022.
2. The center director confirmed that the medication is expired.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The expired medication will be given back to the parent at pick-up and a new one will be requested.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-G Description: Based on a review of the emergency drill log and interview, the center did not ensure that documentation of emergency practice drills contain all the required elements.
1. The center's emergency drill log for the months of January 2022 through August 2022 does not include the method used for notification of the drill, the number of staff participating, any special conditions simulated, problems encountered or the weather conditions.
2. The center director confirmed that the center's emergency drill log does not contain the above required elements.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The center began using a new emergency drill log with all the required information in September 2022.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.