Apple Dumpling Learning Center, LLC
348 S. Commerce Avenue
Front royal, VA 22630
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Oct. 28, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 10/28/2022 from 11:50 a.m. to 1:50 p.m. There were 56 children present, ranging in ages from 4 months to 5 years old, with 14 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of 6 child records and 5 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on the review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that all background checks were repeated every five years.
1. The criminal history background check in Staff #5?s file was dated 8/23/2014.
2. The central registry check in Staff #5?s file was dated 9/4/2014.
3. Staff #8 confirmed there was not an updated criminal history background check or a central registry check.
Plan of Correction: Administrator will have staff get update background check. A second file was misplaced.
Standard #: 22.1-289.058 Description: Based on interview and observation, the center failed to ensure that the building was equipped with a carbon monoxide detector.
1. There was no carbon monoxide detector observed to be in the building. Staff #8 confirmed that there was not a carbon monoxide detector in the building.
Plan of Correction: Carbon monoxide detector was placed in center.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: Based on review of records and interviews, the center failed to ensure that each staff member had completed a sworn statement by the first day of employment.
1. Staff #5?s start date is 6/21/11.
2. Staff #5 did not have a sworn statement on file.
3. Staff #8 confirmed that Staff #5 did not have a sworn statement on file.
Plan of Correction: Administrator obtained new sworn statement. A second file for employee was misplaced.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-C Description: Based on review of records and interviews, the center failed to ensure that staff had a tuberculosis (TB) screening at learning every 2 years from the initial screening.
1. The TB screening on file for Staff #5 is dated 10/1/2015.
2. Staff #8 confirmed that there was not an updated TB screening on file for Staff #5.
Plan of Correction: Staff has scheduled TB test. A second file for employee was misplaced.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-E Description: Based on observation and interview, the licensee failed to ensure that the center?s own policy regarding safe sleep was followed.
1. In Classroom #3, one child was observed to be sleeping in an infant floor rocker chair.
2. The following is stated in the safe sleep policy provided by the center: ?Infants will be placed flat on their backs to sleep unless otherwise ordered by a written statement signed by the child's physician? and ?A firm surface, such as a mattress will be used for infant sleeping?
3. Staff #3 confirmed that the child was sleeping in the infant floor rocker chair.
Plan of Correction: Still will place infant in crib is the fall sleep in the rocker chair.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that the areas and equipment of the center are maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition
1. On the toddler playground, there was a bucket of stagnant water under a chair that was accessible to the children.
2. In Classroom #3, there was a protective outlet plate that was missing the outside protective cover and was loose from the wall.
Plan of Correction: Water will be dumped dailey and be gated off so it is not accessible to children.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observations and interviews, the center failed to ensure that hazardous substances were kept in a locked place.
1. In Classroom #4, there was Great Value All Purpose cleaning and Great Value wipes in an unlocked drawer. Staff #6 and #7 confirmed that the chemical in the drawer was unlocked.
2. In the bathroom in Classroom #6 was an unlocked cabinet that contained Clorox bathroom cleaner, 2- Great Value bathroom cleaners and toilet bowl cleaner.
Plan of Correction: Employees will lock all cleaning supplies after use.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-290-A-3 Description: Based on observations and interviews, the center failed to ensure that electrical outlets in areas that are used by preschool children and younger had protective covers.
1. In Classroom #3, there was one outlet missing a cover. Staff #3 confirmed the outlet cover was missing.
2. In Classroom # 1, there was one outlet missing a cover. Staff #2 and #5 confirmed that the outlet cover was missing.
Plan of Correction: Staff will ensure outlet is covered. Administration in currently installing safety protective outlets.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: Based on measure and observation, the center failed to ensure that playground equipment is provided with resilient surfacing that complies with the minimum safety requirements.
1. The playground was observed to have 4 inches of mulch around the slide and swing set.
Plan of Correction: Additional mulch will be added.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.