Angel's Place Daycare Center II
9573 Shore Drive
Norfolk, VA 23518
Current Inspector: Rene Old (757) 404-1784
Inspection Date: Nov. 7, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22 Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide.
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Standard 500.B.3.c reviewed: For children younger than three years, diapers/pull-up shall be changed on a changing table or counter top.
Standard 290.2: Fans, when used, shall be out of reach of children and cords shall be secured so as not to create a tripping hazard.
Peeling plastic on the microwave in the three year old class should be removed before it becomes a safety hazard.
Rust on outdoor play truck needs to be addressed before this becomes a safety hazard.
The name labels on cribs should be placed in areas that are not within reach of infants. Additionally, these labels should not be placed on the wall as they could fall into the crib.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 11/07/2022 from 9:40 am - 12:35 pm. At the time of the tour there were 63 children in care with 14 teaching staff. The ages of children ranged in age from infant - four years.
Children were observed during morning program time and outdoor play. Three diaper changes were reviewed in the infant and toddler classrooms.
Records were reviewed for five children and four staff.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliances with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that staff must not be employed or provide volunteer service until the center has the person's completed sworn statement or affirmation.
1. Staff 2, hire date 09/28/2022, lacks a completed sworn statement or affirmation.
1. Staff 3, hire date 09/08/2022, lacks a completed sworn statement or affirmation.
2. The program director confirmed that a sworn statement or affirmation was not on file for staff 2 and staff 3.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that staff 2 and staff 3 would complete a sworn statement or affirmation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that staff have a central registry finding within 30 days of employment or volunteer service.
1. Staff 1, hire date 08/01/2022, lacks the findings of a central registry check.
2. Staff 2, hire date 09/28/2022, lacks the findings of a central registry check.
3. Staff 3, hire date 09/08/2022, lacks the findings of a central registry check.
4. Staff 4, hire date 08/29/2022, lacks the findings of a central registry check.
5. The program director confirmed that the results of a central registry check was not on file for these four staff.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that a central registry check had been requested for all four staff. All of these checks had been returned for additional information.
The program director stated that the checks had been resubmitted however, the results had not been received.
The program director stated that OBI in Richmond would be emailed to check the status of these outstanding central registry checks.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-E Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to obtain documentation of additional immunizations once every six months for children under the age of two years.
1. The most recent immunizations on file for child 1, age 15 months, were administered on 10/13/2021.
2. The program director confirmed that an updated immunization record had not been obtained for child 1.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that an updated immunization record will be requested from the parent of child 1.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that each child shall have a physical examination by or under the direction of a physician before attendance or within 30 days after the first day of attendance.
1. Child 2, enrollment date 4/6/2022, lacks documentation of a physical exam.
2. The program director confirmed that a physical exam was not on file for child 2.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that a physical exam will be requested from the parent of child 2.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-245-J-3 Description: Based on record review and interview, the center failed to ensure that for any child for whom emergency medications (such as albuterol, glucagon, and epinephrine auto injector) have been prescribed shall always be in the care of a staff member who meets the requirements for medication administration (MAT) training.
1. The program director stated that no one on staff had current MAT certification.
a. A child in care, child 3. has emergency medications on file for a diagnosed food allergy.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated she would obtain MAT certification for emergency medications.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. The mesh safety gate located in the doorway of classroom A3 ( toddler/2's) was torn and dirty. Dried food was on the mesh side of the gate facing inside the classroom.
2. An air purifier placed on a table in the SA classroom is a toppling hazard. This purifier is within easy reach of a SA child.
3. The outdoor play house on the preschool playground has areas of cracked and sharp plastic around the doorway areas and the window.
4. The water play/sensory table on the preschool playground was filled with approximately 6 inches of standing water and debris.
5. The power strip in the four-year old classroom was accessible and multiple electrical cords were dangling from this strip.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated:
1. The mesh gate will be removed.
2. The air purifier will be removed.
3. The water play table was emptied during the inspection.
4. The play house was removed from the playground during the inspection.
5. The power strip and dangling cords will be placed out of reach of children.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-1 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that the required staff-to-child ratio was maintained whenever children are in care:
*Birth up to 16 months- ratio 1:4 (staff: children)
1. Five (5) infants were observed on the playground with one staff at approximately 10:00 am
a. The staff present with this group of 5 infants confirmed there was not a second staff present with this group of infants.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that she thought that staff on the playground, in different groups, could count as a second staff for the infants. Going forward a second staff will be with the infants, during outdoor play, if more than 4 infants are in care on the playground.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-G Description: Based on review, the center failed to ensure that medication shall be labeled with the child's name, the name of the medication, the dosage amount, and the time or times to be given.
1. One emergency medication for child 3 lacked any name label nor was a prescription label attached to indicate the dosage amount and the times to be given.
a. The program director verified that this medication had been accepted into the facility without the prescription label or name label.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that the parent of child 3 will be asked to provide a current prescription label/box for the medication.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-P Description: Based on record review, the center failed to ensure that written injury reports contain all required information.
1. Three injury reports reviewed lacked documentation of "any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury."
2. One injury report reviewed lacked documentation of the time and method the parent was notified of the injury.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that all staff would be retrained on completing injury reports to include all required information.
Standard #: 8VAC20-820-120-E-1 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that any provisional license shall be posted at each public entrance of the facility and a notice shall be prominently displayed next to the license that states that a description of specific violations of licensing standards to be corrected and the deadline for completion of such corrections is available for inspection at the facility.
1. The provisional license, issued 09/07/2022, was not posted at the public entrance of the facility.
a. The license was posted on the parent board which is not a prominent place near the public entrance into the facility.
Plan of Correction: The program director stated that the current provisional license will be posted at the front door.
Standard #: 8VAC20-820-120-E-2 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure the findings of the most recent inspection of the facility were posted on the premises.
1. The findings of the most recent complaint inspection on 08/22/2022 were not posted.
a. The findings of the 09/23/2021 monitoring inspection were posted.
Plan of Correction: The most recent licensing inspection documents will be posted.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.