Apple Dumpling Learning Center, LLC
348 S. Commerce Avenue
Front royal, VA 22630
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Dec. 14, 2022
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced focused inspection was conducted on 12/14/2022 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. There were 63 children present, ranging in ages from 7 months to 5 years old, with 12 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. 5 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Description: Based on interview and review of records, the center failed to have central registry findings within 30 days of employment for two staff members.
1. Staff #1?s employment date was 8/31/22. There were no central registry findings on file. Staff #5 confirmed that there were no central registry findings for Staff #1.
2. Staff #3?s start date was 9/19/2022. There were no central registry findings on file. Staff #5 confirmed that there were no central registry findings for Staff #3.
Plan of Correction: Administration will ensure all paperwork will be completed within 30 days of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-E Description: Based on observation and interview, the licensee failed to ensure that the center maintained compliance with the center?s own policies and procedures that are required by these standards.
1. In Classroom #1, the Licensing Inspector observed 1 child sleeping in a swing and 1 child sleeping in a mamaroo.
2. The center?s safe sleep policy states ?An infant, who falls asleep in a play space other than their crib, will be moved promptly to their designated sleeping space?
2. Staff #1 confirmed that the children had not been moved to the crib after falling asleep in the swing and mamaroo.
Plan of Correction: Center policy updated - to align with manufacture info and state standards.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that all hazardous substances were kept in a locked place.
1. In Classroom #1, there was a cabinet that was unlocked that contained 4 aerosol cans of Glade air freshener, and 4 spray bottles of commercial cleaners.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that the cabinet was not locked.
Plan of Correction: A new automatic locking system will be added on cabinet to ensure it remains locked.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-1 Description: Based on observations and interviews, the center failed to ensure that required staff-to-child ratios were maintained.
1. In Classroom #1, The Licensing Inspector observed 1 staff member with 11 infants. The required ratio for children age birth to 16 months is 1:4.
2. Staff #2 confirmed the birthdate of the youngest child in Classroom #1 was 5/14/22 (7 months old).
3. Staff #1 confirmed that she was the only staff member in the classroom.
Plan of Correction: Ratio will be maintained even during nap and employee lunch breaks.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.