3440 22nd Street South
Arlington, VA 22204
Current Inspector: Karen Dickens (571) 423-6978
Inspection Date: Jan. 12, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
? 8VAC20-780 Administration.
? 8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
? 8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
? 8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
? 8VAC20-780 Programs.
? 8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
? 8VAC20-780 Special Services.
? 8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
? 8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
? 8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
? 8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
? 20 Access to minor?s records
? 22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
? 63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
? 8VAC20-790 Subsidy Regulations.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted today between the hours of 9:30am-11:30am. There were a total of 46 children with ten supervising staff members present. Children were observed during morning snack time, handwashing, diapering, engaged in group activities and outdoor play time. A selection of staff and children records, medications and other documents were reviewed. The physical space, emergency supplies, evacuation drills, attendance records, and the Emergency Preparedness Plan were reviewed. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on record review and interview, no five year repeat central registry background checks were completed for staff.
1. Staff #2's record (Date of hire-08/01/2011) did not contain documentation of a five year repeat central registry background check. The last central registry background check results were expired and dated 04/12/2017.
Plan of Correction: Management will submit a new VA Central Registry for the staff member.
Standard #: 22.1-289.036-A Description: Based on record review, and interview, two of two officer's records did not contain documentation of a five year repeat of out of state background checks.
1. Officer #1 currently lives in the state of Maryland. Officer #1's record contained an out of state child abuse and neglect check dated 09/12/2021. A five year repeat out of state child abuse and neglect search results were not available during the time of inspection.
2. Officer #2 currently lives in the state of Maryland. Officer #2's record contained an out of state child abuse and neglect check dated 02/22/2017. A five year repeat out of state child abuse and neglect search results were not available during the time of the inspection.
3. Officer #2 confirmed that Officer #1 and Officer #2's out of state child abuse and neglect five year repeat search had not been conducted at the time of the inspection.
Plan of Correction: The Out of State Child Abuse and Neglect Background Checks will be completed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-C Description: Based on record review and interview, subsequent tuberculosis screenings for staff members were not obtained by the center for each staff member.
1. Staff #4's record (Date of hire-03/26/2012) did not contained a subsequent tuberculosis screening. The last tuberculosis screening was dated 10/28/2020.
2. Officer # 2 confirmed that Staff #4 did not obtain a current tuberculosis screening.
Plan of Correction: The staff member will get a new tuberculosis screening.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, children's records did not contain required information.
1. Child #5's record (Start date-09/12/22) did not contain documentation of viewing proof of the child's identity.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that Child #5's proof of identity was not documented.
Plan of Correction: Management will ask the parents for proof of identity and document the child's record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were not maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. In the Toddler classroom, the peddle operated trashcan was not in operable condition. The peddle was broken.
Plan of Correction: A new trashcan will be purchased for the classroom.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-C Description: Based on observation, diaper cream was not labeled with the child's name.
1. In the older infant classroom(12-24 months), two containers of Triple Paste diaper cream was located in the diapering area without each child's name.
Plan of Correction: The diaper creams will be labeled with each child's name.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.