Western Branch KinderCare
5700 Trucker Street
Portsmouth, VA 23703
Current Inspector: Heather Harrell (757) 334-4329
Inspection Date: Jan. 13, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A renewal inspection was conducted on 1/13/23 from 10:45am until 1:25pm. At the time of the inspection, there were 52 children in care with 11 staff present. A sample of 6 children's records and 6 staff records were reviewed. Children were observed participating in morning learning activities, engaging in free play and eating lunch. Lunch service, infant feeding, diapering, handwashing and restroom procedures were also observed. First aid and emergency supplies, the emergency preparedness plan, documentation of emergency practice drills, transportation, medication, children's injury reports and required center postings were reviewed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law. Violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program and discussed with the center director during the exit interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that all employees shall undergo a background check every five years after the initial check is completed.
1. The most recent central registry search result for staff 1 is dated 12/1/17. Staff 1 was due for an updated central registry search in December 2022.
2. The center director confirmed that the central registry search results for staff 1 is expired.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: A new central registry search form for staff 1 will be completed when she returns to work on 12/17/23. Once the results are received, they will be placed in staff 1's record and forwarded to the licensing inspector.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-140-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that each child shall have a physical examination by or under the direction of a physician before the child's attendance or within 30 days after the first day of attendance.
1. The record for child 3 (date of enrollment: 7/10/22) does not contain documentation of a physical examination.
2. The center director confirmed that the record for child 3 is lacking documentation of a physical examination.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The parent of child 3 will be contacted today in order to obtain a copy of the child's most recent physical.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, the center did not ensure that children's records contain all the required information.
1. The record for child 1 (date of enrollment: 11/28/22) contains one name, address and phone number of a designated person to call in an emergency if a parent cannot be reached, where two are required.
2. The record for child 2 (date of enrollment: 9/11/22) does not contain documentation of viewing proof of the child's identity and age.
3. The center director confirmed that the records for child 1 and child 2 are lacking the above required information.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The second emergency contact for child 1 will be obtained from the parent today at pickup. The parent of child 2 will be contacted today to bring in the child's birth certificate.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-580-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center did not ensure that any vehicle used by the center for transportation of children met all safety standards set by the Department of Motor vehicles.
1. The center's bus used to transport children has an inspection sticker that expired in October 2022.
2. The center director confirmed that the bus used by the center to transport children has an expired inspection sticker.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The center's bus will be taken to get inspected as soon as possible.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.