Apple Dumpling Learning Center, LLC
348 S. Commerce Avenue
Front royal, VA 22630
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Jan. 26, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 1/26/2023 from 1:30 p.m. to 2:40 p.m. There were 65 children present, ranging in ages from three months to four years old, with 18 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. Nine staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-A Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that all background checks were repeated every five years.
1. The criminal history background check on file for Staff #6 was dated 8/23/2014.
2. The central registry check on file for Staff #5 was dated 9/4/2014.
3. Staff #10 confirmed there was not an updated criminal history background check or an updated central registry check. Staff #10 confirmed that the criminal history background check had not been requested.
Plan of Correction: All background checks will be updated every 5 years.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that each staff member had completed a sworn statement by the first day of employment.
1. Staff #6?s start date is 6/21/2022.
2. Staff #6 did not have a sworn statement on file.
3. Staff #10 confirmed that Staff 5 did not have a sworn statement on file.
Plan of Correction: Sworn Statement will be on file the first day of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on review of record and interview, the center failed to ensure each staff member submitted documentation of a negative tuberculosis (TB) screening at the time of employment and prior to coming in contact with children.
1. Staff #2?s start date was 01/03/2022. The only TB screening on file for Staff #2 was dated 9/12/2022.
2. Staff #10 confirmed that Staff #2 did not submit documentation of a negative TB screening at the time of employment and prior to coming in contact with children.
Plan of Correction: Staff will have TB test at time of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that all hazardous substances were kept in a locked place.
1. In Classroom #3, there was an unlocked locker that contained two bags of moisturizing hand soap that was labeled ?Keep out of reach of children? by the manufacturer.
2. Staff #11 confirmed that the soap was not in a locked place.
Plan of Correction: Soap will be kept in a locked place.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that all children under ten years of age were within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. In Classroom # 1, staff#5 was observed in the playing room with 3 infants. In the sleeping room there were 5 infants in cribs.
2. Staff #5 confirmed that they were unable to see 4 of the 5 infants in the sleeping area from the playing room.
Plan of Correction: Staff will be in each area when there are infants in that area.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-1 Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that required staff-to-children ratios were maintained.
1. In Classroom #1, the Licensing Inspector observed 1 staff member with 8 infants. The required staff-to-children ratio for children age birth up to 16 months is 1:4.
2. Staff #10 confirmed the birthdate of the youngest child in Classroom #1 was 10/6/2022 (3 months old).
3. Staff #5 confirmed that she was the only staff member in the classroom.
Plan of Correction: Staff will notify administration when the need to leave the room so it will be covered.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.