Childcare Network #180
4300 John Tyler Highway
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Current Inspector: Tiffany Jones (757) 403-3045
Inspection Date: Feb. 22, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
A self-report inspection was initiated by local agency representatives and inspector on February 22, 2023 and completed on April 26, 2023. The areas of concerns were programs, staffing and supervision, and special care provisions and emergencies. Information gathered during the inspection determined noncompliance with applicable standards or law, and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. If you have any questions regarding the inspection please contact inspector, Tiffany Jones at 757-403-3045.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Description: Based on interviews, documentation, and video review, the center did not ensure when staff are supervising children to always ensure care, protection, and guidance.
1. Interviews and a review of documentation confirmed on February 20, 2023, while on the outdoor play area, Child #1 sustained an injury at the center, that resulted in Child #1 having a nosebleed.
2. Staff #1 did not assist Child #1 with the nosebleed, nor did the staff person provide first aid of the injury. Staff #1 allowed Child #1 to leave the outdoor play area and go into the center alone and without adult supervision to "clean herself up" with a tissue.
3. On February 20, 2023, Child #1 was observed by a local agency representative with visible blood on her shirt and jacket.
4. An interview conducted on March 1, 2023, with Child#2 indicated that Child #1 cried and sustained a nosebleed while at the center and that Staff #1 requested Child #1 to get a paper towel to clean herself up. Child #2 stated that she attempted to follow Child #1 inside the center to assist but Staff #1 refused to allow her to help. Child #2 reported that Child #1 disclosed that Staff #1 "backhanded her" to a parent when picked up from the center.
5. Licensing Inspector reviewed video footage of Child#1 describing an incident involving Staff #1 where Child #1 was placed in time out because she wrote on Staff #1?s board with her pen. She indicated that Staff #1 told her not to do that. Child #1 revealed that Staff #1 came up to her, and ?did this? to her nose. Child #1 reported there was blood coming down her nose. Child #1 stated Staff #1 told her to go get some tissue, and Child #1 said that she got ?some paper towel?. Child #1 described there was ?so much blood? on the paper towel and Child #1 returned to the bench to sit with Staff #1. Child #1 confirmed there was blood on her clothes and jacket.
6. A review of documentation revealed Child#1 was diagnosed with a ?contusion of face?.
7. A review of documentation of interviews with Child #1, Child #2, Staff #1, Staff #2, and collaterals which were consistent and detailed related to the incident on February 20, 2023. good
Plan of Correction: That all staff have training on what to do in an emergency. Had a meeting with staff about emergency and if you need a break to let someone know from admin.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Description: Based on interviews, documentation, video review, the center did not ensure all children under 10 years of age are always within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. On February 21, 2023, the interview with Child#1 confirmed the incident on February 20, 2023, at the center, in which Child #1 sustained an injury causing the child to have a nosebleed and Staff #1 directed Child#1 to go clean it up alone inside of the facility while Staff#1 remained outside of the facility.
2. On March 1, 2023, interview with Staff #1 confirmed that she requested Child #1 to clean herself up alone inside the center after the child had a visible nosebleed.
3. A review of documentation and video footage also confirmed the interviews with Child#1, Child#2 and Staff#1 with similar accounts of the incident on February 20, 2023
Plan of Correction: Talked to staff about not letting the children go inside by themselves.
Talked with staff about supervision.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-O Description: Based on interviews, the center did not ensure to maintain a written record of children?s serious and minor injuries in which entries are made the day of occurrence.
1. Interview with Staff #1 acknowledged on February 21, 2023 Child #1 had a nosebleed while at the center, and there was no written injury report completed by Staff #1.
2. On February 22, 2023 interview with Staff #2 confirmed there was no written injury report provided by Staff #1 of the incident involving Child #1 on February 20, 2023.
3. Interview with collaterals, confirmed no written injury record report from the center as result of the incident on February 20, 2023 involving Child #1.
Plan of Correction: Talked to staff about writing and reporting accidents.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.