Apple Dumpling Learning Center, LLC
348 S. Commerce Avenue
Front royal, VA 22630
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Feb. 28, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 02/28/2023 from 09:40 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. There were 64 children present, ranging in ages from six months to four years old with 19 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of seven child records and ten staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: REPEAT
Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that each staff member submitted documentation of a negative tuberculosis (TB) screening that was completed within the last 30 calendar days of the date of employment.
1. Staff #2?s start date was 02/13/2023. The TB screening on file for Staff #2 was dated 07/18/2021.
2. Staff #1 confirmed there was no other TB screening on file for Staff #2 and that Staff #2 had not submitted a TB screening that was completed within the last 30 calendar days of the date of employment.
Plan of Correction: TB screening will be completed within 30 days of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-M Description: Based on interviews, the center failed to maintain, in a way that is accessible to all staff who work with children, a current list of all children?s allergies, sensitivities and dietary restrictions.
1. Staff #11 stated that Child #8 has a soy and milk allergy.
2. Staff #5, #8, #9, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15 and #16 stated they did not have a current list of children?s allergies
3. Staff #1 confirmed Child #8 has an allergy and there was not a current list of all children?s allergies, sensitivities and dietary restrictions that was accessible to all staff who work with children.
Plan of Correction: In the future administration will give staff any list of allergies. As per mom child has outgrown allergy.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-245-A Description: Based on review of records and interview, the center failed to ensure that each staff completed annually a minimum of 16 hours of training appropriate to the age of children in care.
1. Staff #4?s start date was 01/25/2022. Staff #4 completed 12 hours of training between 01/25/2022 and 01/24/2023.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that Staff #4 did not complete a minimum of 16 hours of training between 01/25/2022 and 01/24/2023.
Plan of Correction: Administration will make sure all staff have 16 hours of training.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-C Description: REPEAT, SYSTEMIC DEFICIENCY
Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that areas and equipment of the center were maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. On the playground, the chains of the swings were rusted.
2. On the playground, there was a pole that was standing about three feet above ground attached to rusty, jagged remnant of broken equipment.
Plan of Correction: Swings and pole have been removed from playground.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: REPEAT
Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that when playground equipment is provided, resilient surfacing shall comply with minimum safety standards.
1. The mulch depth on the playground measured less than two inches by the swing and by the slide.
2. Staff #1 confirmed there was less than six inches of resilient surfacing on the playground as required.
Plan of Correction: All playground equipment that required resilient surfacing have been removed.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.