Children of America (Winchester), LLC
631 West Jubal Early Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: March 8, 2023
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Special Services
An unannounced complaint inspection was conducted on February 16, 2023 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m., February 16, 2023 from 4:20 p.m. to 5:05 p.m. and on March 8, 2023 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. The complaint was received on February 13, 2023 regarding forbidden action, behavior guidance, nutrition and food services. Eight staff members and one parent was interviewed. Interviews were conduct in cooperation with Winchester Child Protective Services.
Information gathered during the inspection support one of the allegations therefore the complaint was determined to be valid.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interview and review of documents, the center failed to ensure that behavior guidance is constructive in nature and age and stage appropriate.
1. The ?Notice of Second Warning [Final Warning]? regarding Staff #1 dated 1/12/2023 stated that Staff #1 "was witnessed yelling and using inappropriate language toward the children in her classroom". The notice was signed by Staff #1 and Staff #2.
2. One staff member interviewed stated that Staff #1 ?yells? at the children, noting that when they are crying, ?yells? things such as ?That?s enough?, ?Stop. I?ve had enough? and ?you?ve got to stop.?
3. A second staff member interviewed stated that Staff #1 ?yells? at the children, noting she says things like ?you better not do that? when they get toys out to play.
4. A third staff member interviewed stated that their only concern with Staff #1 is that they ?yell? at the children.
5. Two additional staff stated during interviews that they are concerned about Staff #1?s tone with the children.
Plan of Correction: As of March 10th, the employee is not longer employed.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.