Just For Kids Preschool & Child Care Center Ltd
871 South Lynnhaven Road
Virginia beach, VA 23452
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: March 28, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance was provided and the licensing standards were reviewed regarding crib safety and the transition from cribs to cots.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on March 28, 2023 from 8:20am to approximately 11:00am. There were 34 children and 6 staff members present. The Inspector reviewed five children?s records and five staff records. The Inspector observed the interaction of staff and children throughout the inspection. Children were observed during a painting craft, group activity, free play, handwashing, outdoor play and infant feeding. First aid kits and emergency preparedness documents were observed. Transportation vans were observed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliances with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. The violations were discussed with the director at the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. In the infant room, the edge of the carpet was tearing off the floor with shreds of string hanging off the carpet which poses as a injury and tripping hazard to the infants in care.
2. In the 2 year old classroom, there were pieces of the baseboards in the play center of the classroom that were peeling off the wall and some parts of the baseboard missing. This poses as an injury and pinching hazard to the children in care.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The center will ensure to trim the carpet and secure string. A work order will be put in to ensure that the baseboards are safe and secure to the wall.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that disposable diapers be disposed in a leakproof or plastic-lined storage system that is either foot-operated or used in such a way that neither the staff member's hand nor the soiled diaper touches an exterior surface of the storage system during disposal.
1. In the 2 year old classroom, the disposable diaper storage system was also being used as a common garbage for both staff and children to use.
2. Children in care in the 2 year old classroom were observed to be touching and opening the lid of the disposable diaper storage system with their bare hands to throw away garbage.
3. Staff #1 and Staff #2 confirmed that the disposable diaper storage system was also used as a common garbage for both staff and children to use.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: During the time of the inspection, the disposable diaper storage system was moved close to the wall of the classroom and an additional garage can was placed in the common area of the classroom for both staff and children to use. Staff in the 2 year old classroom will only dispose of soiled diapers to the appropriate storage system and not the common classroom garbage.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-580-B Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that any vehicle used by the center for the transportation of children shall meet the safety standards set by the Department of Motor Vehicles and shall be kept in satisfactory condition to assure the safety of children.
1. In the transportation van for the center, the two booster seats used by children were both expired. The expired seats do not meet the safety standards set by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
a. The first booster seat expired the year 2021.
b. The second booster seat expired December 2016.
2. Staff #1, Director, confirmed that both booster seats are currently being used by children and the booster seats in the transportation van are expired.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The booster seats will no longer be used and Staff #1 will call the parents to provide a booster seat for the transportation van that is in compliance with the Department of Motor Vehicles safety standards.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.