Feathers Bilingual Academy LLC
3846 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22302
Current Inspector: Maria Soto (571) 835-5058
Inspection Date: March 31, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Staff who are taking photos of children for app must be supervising children as well and not on phone when responsible for children in care,
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted today from 11:00am-12:45pm. There were 7 children directly supervised by 4 staff. The physical plant, 4 staff records, 4 children?s records, evacuation drills, injury reports, emergency supplies, and policies were inspected. Children were observed participating in group play, reading books, playing outside, and eating lunch. Diapering and hand-washing procedures were also observed. There was an assortment of age appropriate materials for the children in care. There was an adequate number of staff with current certification in CPR and First Aid, as well as DHO training. One staff is present with MAT but no children currently on medication. Staff-to-child ratios were in compliance. The center was clean and organized. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the Violation Notice.
If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact the Licensing Inspector,
Cynthia Ford 703 479-4679
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-3 Description: Based on record review and staff interview, it was determined the Center failed to obtain a Central Registry Search for a staff member within 30 days of employment.
1. The Director showed that Clearances for new staff had been sent but were returned because items missing. Staff #2 has been employed since February 8, 2023 and does not have a Clearance.
Plan of Correction: Everything will be sent and in future all new staff will have forms completed first days of employment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review of staff files, it was determined the Center does not have complete records for staff.
1. 3 of 3 staff files do not contain documentation to verify education or experience of each staff meets lead qualified position. The degrees for each staff are in a foreign language and Inspector is unable to verify type of degree. The Center also did not document experience as resumes lists past experience but it was not verified.
2. 3 of 3 staff files have references taken over the phone but the references do not list names of persons contacted, the firms contacted, and does not record signature of person who made calls.
Plan of Correction: Everything will be documented and clear for each staff.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-C Description: Based on interview and record review, it was determined Orientation training for the staff did not include methods to prevent cross contamination and prevention of abusive head trauma, including procedures to cope with distraught children.
1. Documentation of Allergy training covers many aspects but preventing exposure to food allergens through cross contamination and recognizing symptoms of an allergic reaction are not included.
2. Training does not include how to handle distraught children and how to prevent head trauma.
Plan of Correction: Training will be updated.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-560-G Description: based on observation, food containers are labeled but not dated. Plan of Correction: Lunch brought from home will be dated.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.