Children of America (Winchester), LLC
631 West Jubal Early Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: April 4, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
20 Access to minor?s records
A monitoring inspection was conducted on April 4, 2023 from 1:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. The inspection was in regard to a self-report that was received on April 4, 2023. There were 78 children present with 17 staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, special care and emergencies.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on interview and observation, the center failed to ensure that areas and equipment of the center are maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. The inspector observed the metal blinds in the infant room to have several bent slats.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that the bent blinds were the blinds that Child #1 had grabbed and cut her finger on.
Plan of Correction: The bent blinds were moved back to the corrected position and the cribs are kept away from the blinds when children nap.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-440-I Description: Based on interview, observation and review of record, the center failed to ensure cribs were placed where objects outside of the crib are not within reach of the infants or toddlers.
1. An incident/accident report provided by the center on 04/04/2023 stated that on 04/04/2023 Child #1 ?was in her crib for nap. She stood up and cut her finger on the blinds?. The report was signed by Staff #1.
2. On 04/04/2023 Staff #2 showed the inspector on the blind where Child #1 cut her finger on the blind. Staff #2 confirmed that the child could reach the blind from the crib. The inspector observed blood on the metal blinds and the crib to be close enough that an infant could reach the blinds from the crib.
3. Staff #3 stated during interview that Child #1 required three stitches for the cut that Child #1 received from the blind.
Plan of Correction: Cribs are kept far enough away from the blinds so that children may not reach them from the cribs.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.