Boys&Girls Club of Harrisonburg andRockinghamCounty-Stone Spring
1575 Peach Grove Avenue
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Current Inspector: Julie Kunowsky (540) 430-9256
Inspection Date: April 13, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on April 13, 2023 from 3:30 p.m. through 5:00 p.m. Upon arrival, there were 26 children, ages 5-10, in the care of 5 staff.
The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of 5 child records and 5 staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined noncompliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the facility.
Please complete your plan of correction within 5 business days and return to the licensing inspector.
If you have any questions please contact the licensing inspector at 540-430-9256.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-40-C-1-b Description: Based on documentation review the center failed to obtain a Virginia Central Registry check within 30 days for one board officer.
1. Five board officer records were reviewed.
2. Board Officer #2 did not have documentation of obtaining a Virginia Central Registry check within 30 days of assuming responsibilities. Start date was documented as 1-26-2023.
3. The director confirmed a Virginia Central Registry check had not been submitted within 30 days of Board Office #2 assuming responsibilities.
Plan of Correction: Our Administrative Coordinator. and Director of Operations will ensure all new Board Officers have completed the Central Registry within 30 days of assuming responsibilities. We are still awaiting the results of the check and will submit upon receipt.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-C-2 Description: Based on record review the center failed to obtain a Virginia Central Registry search for one staff within 30 days of employment.
1. Five staff records were reviewed.
2. Staff #5 did not have documentation of obtaining a Virginia Central Registry check within 30 days of employment. Date of hire was documented 11/082/022.
3. The director confirmed Staff #5 did not have documentation of a Virginia Central Registry check within 30 days of employment.
Plan of Correction: We are awaiting results and will submit upon receipt. Our Administrative Coordinator will contact Central Registry if have not received results and will document conversation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-C Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review the center failed to have one staff member obtain an updated tuberculosis screen within two years of the prior screening.
1. Five staff records were reviewed.
2. Staff #4 did not have documentation of obtaining an updated tuberculosis screening. The last documented screening was 05/20/2020.
3. The director confirmed an updated tuberculosis screening had not been obtained for Staff #4.
Plan of Correction: Not available online. Contact Inspector for more information.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-A Description: Based on documentation the center failed to have one staff complete the Virginia Department of Education-sponsored orientation course withing 90 calendar days of employment.
1. Five staff records were reviewed Staff #3 had not obtained the Virginia Department of Education Orientation sponsored training within 90 calendar days of employment. Staff #3 date of hire was documented as 09/02/2023.
2. The director confirmed Staff #3 had not obtained the orientation course withing 90 calendar days of employment.
Plan of Correction: Our Program Quality and Training Specialist will ensure all new staff have orientation course completed within 90 days. We will submit Orientation Certificate upon completion.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.