Bright Horizons at Old Town Alexandria
411 John Carlyle Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Current Inspector: Jessica Willis (571) 352-1453
Inspection Date: March 16, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted today between the hours of 7:48am and 1pm. 46 children were observed directly supervised by 10 staff. The physical plant, 6 staff records, 5 children?s records, medications, evacuation drills, injury reports, and emergency supplies were inspected. Children were observed during tummy time, engaging in free play and coloring. Diapering and handwashing were also observed. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the Violation Notice.
If you have any questions regarding this inspection, please contact the Licensing Inspector at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-352-1453.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain a copy of the results of a of a criminal history record information check and a search of the child abuse and neglect registry from any state in which an individual has resided in the preceding five years within required timeframes for 1 staff.
1. Staff #1 began employment on 12/5/2022.
2. Staff #1 has lived outside of the State of Virginia in the past 5 years.
3. The record for Staff #1 did not contain documentation of the results of a search of the child abuse and neglect registry from Tennessee.
4. Documentation in the file indicates a request was sent on 12/5/2022; however there is no documentation of a follow-up within 45 days from the request as required.
5. The criminal history record check results for the state of Mississippi were dated 12/13/2022, after the staff's date of employment.
Plan of Correction: Out of state criminal history checks will be completed prior to staff's first date of employment. The center will follow up regarding the results of the central registry check submitted.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-D Description: Based on staff interview and record review, at least one staff member who meets the qualifications of a program leader was not present in one grouping of children.
1. Staff #2 was identified as a lead teacher in the twos classroom.
2. The record for Staff #2 did not contain documentation that the staff meets qualifications of a program leader.
Plan of Correction: The center has requested documentation of Staff #1's education to place in the record.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-B Description: Based on record review, prescription medication was given to a child without written authorization from the parent.
1. Documentation in the record for Child #1 indicates medication was administered to the child on 1/5/23-1/7/23, 1/9/23-1/13/23. 1/17/23-1/18/23 and on 2/27/23.
2. The authorization for the medication in the record for Child #1 was dated 12/5/22-12/19/22.
Plan of Correction: The center requested a new authorization from the parent.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-D Description: Based on record review, the center did not implement a practice evacuation drill monthly as required.
1. The center did not practice a fire drill during the month of January 2022.
Plan of Correction: The center will do an additional fire drill for the month of March.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.