Armed Services YMCA of Hampton Roads
1465 Lakeside Road
Va. beach, VA 23455
Current Inspector: Kimberly Sampson (757) 354-7307
Inspection Date: July 17, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced monitoring visit and facility tour was conducted on 7/17/23. At the time of inspectors' arrival there were 57 preschool to school aged children in care with 6 staff members and 2 administrators. Children were observed interacting with staff, lunch, educational activities, outdoor play, and hand washing. A sample of 5 children's records and 5 staff records were reviewed. Injury reports and medications were also reviewed. Areas of noncompliance are identified on the violation notice and were discussed with the director in an exit meeting at the conclusion of this inspection.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not ensure that all areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, were maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. There were empty plastic trash bags in unlocked cabinets under the sink in four out of five classrooms during this inspection. Staff confirmed the trash bags were accessible during this inspection.
2. The electrical closet was un locked allowing access to the electrical panel and other electrical components.
3. In the upstairs 8-10 y/o room there was 2-3" of standing water in the restroom sink. Staff confirmed the sink was stopped up.
Plan of Correction: The inside & outside areas of the center are inspected & checked daily. We appreciate learning about the trash bags being kept under; locked cabinet.
-Locks installed to all cabinets in classrooms(where missing) and in bathroom cabinets
-The electrical closet had a locking handle installed
*Students in room C played with the sink stopper and it was addressed again and in great working order
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation it was determined the center did not ensure that all hazardous substances such as cleaning materials, insecticides, and pesticides were kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. The laundry area in the 4-5 y/o room was unlocked making multiple chemicals accessible.
2. There were several cleaning chemicals accessible on a shelf in the 4-5 y/o room.
3. In the upstairs 10-12m y/o room there was a supply closet unlocked making several cleaning chemicals accessible
4. There were several cleaning chemicals on top of the countertop in the kitchen area.
5. Staff confirmed chemicals were accessible during this inspection.
Plan of Correction: -Verification of inspection 2x daily
-Removed and placed in locked cabinet
-Lock installed on supply closet (in addition to the hinge)
-To remind pantry coordinator and all chemicals in locked cabinets
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-380-A-2 Description: Based on observation and interview it was determined the center did not ensure that preschool aged children had a cot, or rest mat for a rest period of at least one hour.
1. The 4-5 y/o class has a scheduled rest period of only 45 minutes.
2. The 4-5 y/o class did not have any cots or rest mats.
3. Staff confirmed that the rest period is only 45 minutes and they have not been using cots or rest mats.
Plan of Correction: -15 min. was added to 4-5 yr. old rest period.
-Cots used- parents providing sheets & blanket
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.