Apple Dumpling Learning Center, LLC
348 S. Commerce Avenue
Front royal, VA 22630
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: July 12, 2023
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced complaint inspection was conducted in conjunction with another Licensing Inspector on 07/12/2023 from 11:20 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and under the supervision of the Licensing Administrator on 07/14/2023 from 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. The complaint was received on 07/06/2023 regarding administration, staffing and supervision, programs, special care provisions and emergencies and special services. 11 staff members were interviewed and eight classrooms where observed. Three staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection supports at least one of the allegations and the complaint was determined to be valid. Two complaint related violations and six non-complaint violation were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Complaint related: No Description: Repeat Violation
Based on record and interview, the center failed to ensure that each staff record included the required information.
1. Staff #5?s record did not contain a date of separation from employment.
2. Staff #1 confirmed the date of separation was not in the record.
3. Staff #6 confirmed that the date of separation was not in the record that the time of the inspection on 07/12/2023.
Plan of Correction: Dates of separation will be added in the file the date of the separation.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-290-A-3 Complaint related: No Description: Repeat Violation
Based on observation and interview, the center failed to ensure that electrical outlets had covers.
1. In the Pre-K classroom there was a power strip with four outlets that were not covered. Staff #9 and Staff #10 confirmed the outlets did not have a cover.
2. In 3?s classroom, there was a power strip with four outlets that were not covered. Staff #11 and Staff #12 confirmed that the outlets were not covered.
Plan of Correction: Outlet covers were put on power strips immediately.
Staff were reminded to keep covered.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Complaint related: No Description: Repeat Violation
Based on interview and documentation, the center failed to ensure that children under the age of 10 years old are within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. During an interview on 07/13/2023, Staff #4 stated that on the date that Staff #5 was terminated (was not sure of the exact date), Staff #4 found Child #1 in the classroom alone and unsupervised. Staff#4 informed Staff #6 that Child #1 had been left alone in the classroom by Staff #5 and Staff #3.
2. Documentation provided by the center stated that on ?May 25, 2023? , Staff #5 was terminated for leaving Child #1 asleep in the classroom when the class went outside. The document was signed by Staff #6. During an interview on 07/13/2023, Staff #6 confirmed that Staff #5?s employment was terminated for leaving Child #1 alone in the classroom.
3. During an interview on 07/14/2023, Staff #3 confirmed that she was working in the classroom with staff #5 on 05/25/2023 and Child #1 was left alone and unsupervised in the classroom.
4. Staff #1 confirmed that Child #1 was two years old on the date of the incident.
Plan of Correction: The staff member was terminated for leaving child in class. All staff were retrained on sight, sound supervision and the importance of always counting children in care.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-B Complaint related: Yes Description: Complaint Related
Based on interviews and documentation, the center failed to ensure that behavioral guidance is constructive in nature, age and stage appropriate and intended to redirect children to appropriate behavior.
1. Staff #3 stated that they had witnessed Staff #5 ?yelling at the kids and would get in their faces?.
2. Staff #4 stated that they had witnessed Staff #5 ?yell? at the children.
3. Staff #6 stated that on several occasions they could hear Staff #5 yelling at the children.
4. Documentation provided by the center revealed that on 09/01/2022, Staff #5 received a verbal warning regarding ?tone and volume? and another ?verbal warning? on 02/21/2023 for ?yelling?, which also stated ?I could hear her in my office ? I told her unacceptable. send her home for the remainder of the day?.
Plan of Correction: Staff #5 was terminated on 5/25/2023.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-400-C Complaint related: Yes Description: Compliant Related
Based on interviews the center failed to ensure that when time out is used, it was used sparingly and did not exceed one minute for each year of the child?s age.
1. The complainant stated that almost daily they observed children in the highchair of the two-year-old classroom and that Staff #5 had stated that the children were in the highchair because they were ?being bad?.
2. Interview with Staff #3 on 07/13/2023 confirmed that Staff #5 used the highchair in the two-year old classroom for time out, stating that the children would be in time out for five to ten minutes. Staff #3 confirmed that the children in the classroom were two years old.
Plan of Correction: Staff #5 was terminated on 5/25/2023.
Staff will be retrained on time outs.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-540-C Complaint related: No Description: Based on interview and observation, the center failed to ensure that each first aid kit included the required items.
1. The first aid kit on the Dodge van was missing a triangular bandage, thermometer and scissors.
2. Staff #8 confirmed that the items were missing from the first aid kit on the Dodge van.
Plan of Correction: A checklist was place on each first aid kit and items were added.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-P Complaint related: No Description: Based on review of documents and interview, the center failed to maintain a written record of child?s serious and minor injuries in which entries are made on the day of occurrence and contained the required information.
1. An injury report dated 05/04/2023 for Child #2 did not contain future actions to prevent injury.
2. An injury report dated 05/15/2023 for Child #2 did not contain future actions to prevent injury.
3. Interview on 07/14/2023 with Staff #2 reveal that injury reports in the infant room where not being maintain at the center.
4. Interview with Staff #1on 07/14/2023 confirmed that injury reports from the infant room had not been maintained at the center.
Plan of Correction: Staff were retrained on how to properly fill out injury reports. The infant room will make copy for office.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.