46386 Logan Way
Sterling, VA 20165
Current Inspector: Stacy Doyle (571) 835-0386
Inspection Date: July 20, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Reminded staff the importance of washing the children's hands before and after eating. Reminded staff to meet staff to children ratios at all times. Discussed the allergy list must remain confidential and needs a cover page if on the board. Discussed moving sunscreen and bug repellent to an area not accessible to children. Discussed all staff must be able to communicate orally and in writing in English to meet the position requirements. Suggested that one staff practice at work and home and enroll in English class. Discussed the injury prevention plan will need to be reviewed and updated this month along with the emergency plan.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 7/13/2023 from 10:05am to 12:35pm. At the time of entrance, 55 children were in care with 11 staff members present. Children were observed washing hands, free play, listening to the teacher read a book, playing with legos, eating snack, strolling in an infant buggy and stroller and sleeping in the infant classroom. A selection of staff and children records, the physical space, evacuation drills, allergy action plans and attendance records were reviewed. Interactions between the children and staff were positive. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at Stacy.Doyle@doe.virginia.gov or 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Description: Based on review of staff records, the center did not obtain the sex offender registry check from any state in which the individual resided in the preceding five years prior to the 1st day of employment or the child abuse and neglect registry by the end of the 30th day of employment.
1. Staff #1 (Date of hire 6/12//2023) did not have the results of the sex offender registry
check for North Carolina prior to the 1st day of employment/service and did not have documentation of the Child Abuse and Neglect Registry for North Carolina being sent within 30 days.
Plan of Correction: Proper database was found to make these changes and searches.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-50-A Description: Based on observation, children's records were not treated confidentially.
1. In the Rabbit classroom, the children's allergy list was posted on the board and was not covered by a cover sheet.
2. In the School age classroom, the children's allergy list was posted on the board and was not covered by a cover sheet.
Plan of Correction: Cover sheets for wall mounted allergy list replaced.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on review of staff records, staff records did not include all required information.
1. Staff #1 (Hire date 6/12/2023) did not have documentation to demonstrate that the
individual possesses the education and certification required by the job position, did not have documentation to demonstrate that the orientation training was provided in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation within 30 days of the first day of employment and Out of State background checks required.
2. Staff #3 (Hire date 3/13/2023) did not have documentation to demonstrate that the
orientation training in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was provided within 30 days
of the first day of employment.
3. Staff #3 (Hire date 4/25/2023) did not have documentation to demonstrate that the
individual possesses the education and certification required by the job position, did not have documentation to demonstrate that the orientation training was provided in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation within 30 days of the first day of employment.
Plan of Correction: Onboarding form was modified to include CPR/First Aid Training and response pending training.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-E Description: Based on review of records, three staff did not complete orientation training in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), as appropriate to the age of the children in care within 30 days of the first day of employment.
1. Staff #1 (date of hire 6/12/2023) Staff #2 (date of hire 3/13/2023) and Staff #3 (date of hire 4/25/2023) did not complete the orientation training in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), as appropriate to the age of the children in care.
Plan of Correction: Issue addressed with previous citation; onboarding form modified.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, areas and equipment of the center inside were not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. In the Rabbit classroom, the carpet was fraying approximately 20 inches long and an additional 6 inches. A classroom rug with an orange circle was fraying/coming apart on the corner.
2. In the School Age classroom, the blue rug was fraying/coming apart approximately 3 inches long on/near the corner.
Plan of Correction: Carpet frays were cut and covered with area rug.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-280-B Description: Based on observation, hazardous substanceswere not kept in a locked place using a safe
locking method that prevent access by children.
1. In the Koala Bears classroom, a container of Clorox wipes and bleach water spray were inside an unlocked cabinet during nap time.
2. In the School age classroom, a bottle of bleach water spray was on top of the cubbies shelf.
Plan of Correction: Staff (seasonal) were re-trained that afternoon.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation, diapering requirements were not met.
1. Staff stated that all children in the infant classroom through two year old classroom are being changed on the floor on changing pads.
2.The requirements for a diaper surface for children younger than three years old is a changing table surface or countertop surface designated for changing.
Plan of Correction: Teachers were retrained and changing tables were implemented.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-C Description: Based on observation, the center did not meet all requirements when diaper cream is used.
1. Child #3' had two diaper creams that were inside their cubby and were accessible to children.
Plan of Correction: Diaper cream was secured in a cubby locked away & out of reach.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-E Description: Based on drill record review, the center did not practice Shelter in place procedures a minimum of twice per year.
1. The center practiced the Shelter in Place procedure on 9/26/2022 only.
Plan of Correction: New policy was implemented to assure compliance.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-I Description: Based on observation, 911 or local dial number for police, fire and emergency medical services and the number of the regional poison control center was not posted in a visible place at each telephone.
1. In the Rabbit classroom, the emergency numbers were not posted by the telephone.
2. In the School age classroom, the emergency numbers were not posted by the telephone.
Plan of Correction: Phones in classrooms do not dial out. No action necessary.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.