Deep Creek Country Day School
718 Shell Road
Chesapeake, VA 23323
Current Inspector: Nanette Roberts (757) 404-2322
Inspection Date: July 19, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-820 HEARINGS PROCEDURES.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Technical Assistance given and Licensing Standards reviewed regarding emergency contact addresses, children walking and eating , screws on stairs.
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted on July 19, 2023 from 10:00 am to approximately 12:25 pm. There were 115 children present with 15 staff members. A sample size of 15 records were reviewed which included ten children?s records and five staff records. The Inspector observed staff and children?s interactions throughout the inspection. Children were observed during free play, recreational activity indoor and out, diapering, infant feeding and lunch. First aid kits and emergency preparedness documents were observed. Medications were observed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented. The violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were reviewed with the site director at the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that they shall maintain and keep at the center a separate record for each child enrolled which shall contain the work phone number each parent who has custody.
1. Four of the ten children?s records observed did not have the work phone numbers for each parent.
a. Child #1 (date of enrollment 5/16/23) did not have the work phone numbers listed for each parent.
b. Child #2 (date of enrollment 3/17/23) did not have the work phone number for their father.
c. Child #3 (date of enrollment 3/08/23) did not have the work phone numbers for both of their parents.
d. Child #4 (date of enrollment 9/10/21) did not have the work phone number for both parents.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that the work phone numbers for Child #1, Child #2, Child #3, and Child #4 were not in their record.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: 5. ALL Childrens files will be updated from A to Z with parent preference for contact all work phone numbers and N/A portions will be corrected.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center outside be maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. In the playground, there is a plastic play toy that has approximately four inches of standing water from the rain. The water poses as a hazard to the children in care.
2. In the school age room, a section of the hardwood floor has been removed due to water damage and has not been replaced. This poses as a tripping hazard to the children in care and has resulted in a child?s parent tripping on the surface.
3. Throughout the inside of building, there is chipping paint on the walls in the classrooms.
4. In the toddler room, there is about 6-8 inches of the baseboard missing from the wall and in reach of the toddlers in care.
5. The area carpet in the preschool age room is lifting at the edges and corners posing as a tripping hazard to the children in care.
6. In the school age room, the bathroom frame to the children?s bathroom is missing making the door difficult to close and open.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following:
Physical Plant: A) floor in s/a will be replaced on Saturday 7/22/23 B) bathroom door frame in s/a classroom will be replaced by Monday 7/24/23 C) ALL chipping paint will be corrected by Monday 7/24/2023 D) The piece of trim missing in toddler room will be replaced by 7/24/2023 D) carpets in each room will be taped or Velcroed to the floor to insure safety from tripping hazards. The container with standing water has been removed and disposed of.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-5 Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that the staff-to-children ratio for school age eligible up to 9 years old are based on their approved waiver of one staff member to twenty school age children.
1. In the school age room, one staff member was observed with 21 children in care.
2. Staff #1 and Staff #2 confirmed that they were out of ratio and there was one additional child in the classroom.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Ratio 1:20 School Age upstairs : sent one student to the other school age classroom to always maintain ratio, The students were finishing up a dance party game when his one extra student arrived he told her she could finish but had to go downstairs afterwards to avoid her having a meltdown and being left out.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that disposable diapers shall be disposed in a leakproof or plastic-lined storage system that is either foot-operated or used in such a way that neither the staff member's hand nor the soiled diaper touches an exterior surface of the storage system during disposal.
1. In the infant room, the garbage used for diaper disposal requires staff to touch the exterior of the surface of the garbage. This was observed during a diaper change.
2. In the toddler room, the foot-operated garbage is broken and rusted.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that both storage systems for diapers did not meet licensing standards and that staff did use their hands to dispose of diapers.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Diaper disposal: Purchase new foot stool trash bins for diapering in all required classrooms.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-510-E Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that when a child at the center requires medication, written authorization from the child's physician and parent must be kept in the record.
1. Child #5 had written authorization from both a parent and physician for a prescription medication to be administered from 2/22/2022 to 2/22/2023. The center administered Child #5 the prescription medication on 5/02/2023 which is outside of the authorized timeframe.
2. Child #6 had written authorization from both a parent and physician for a prescription medication to be administered from 5/25/2023 to 6/01/2023. The medication was administered to Child #6 on 6/05/2023 and 6/08/2023.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that both Child #5 and Child #6 did not have written authorization by a parent and physician to administer medication at the given date. Staff #1 is aware that the medication was administered outside of the written authorization dates.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Medication Administration: All Allergy List and Asthma list will have matching action plans physicals and meds updated ASAP or students may not return without them.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-G Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that documentation shall be maintained of emergency evacuation, shelter-in place, and lockdown drills that includes: 1. Identity of the person conducting the drill; 2. The date and time of the drill; 3. The method used for notification of the drill; 4. The number of staff participating; 5. The number of children participating; 6. Any special conditions simulated; 7. The time it took to complete the drill; 8. Problems encountered, if any; and 9. For emergency evacuation drills only, weather conditions.
1. In reviewing the documentation of the emergency evacuation drill log, the following were missing from the center?s log: Person conducting the drill, method of notification, special conditions, time to complete, problems encountered, and weather conditions.
2. Staff #1 confirmed that all the requirements to record on the documentation drill log were not recorded.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: 6. August Fire Drill and moving forward I will use the Log Sheet provided by you.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.