Children of America (Winchester), LLC
631 West Jubal Early Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: May 1, 2023
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced complaint investigation was initiated on 05/01/2023 in response to a complaint regarding staffing and supervision that was received by the Department on 05/01/2023. An on-site inspection was conducted on 05/01/2023 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. during which three staff members were interviewed, one classroom was observed, and one staff record was reviewed. An exit interview was conducted on 07/25/2023 from 12:45 p.m. to 1:05 p.m. The investigation was conducted in conjunction with local child protective services and local law enforcement.
Information gathered during the inspection supports at least one of the allegations, and the complaint was determined to be valid. One complaint related violation and one non-complaint violation were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-A Complaint related: Yes Description: Based on interviews and documentation, the center failed to ensure that when staff are supervising children, they always ensure their care, protection and guidance.
1. A video, taken by the parents on 4/30/2023, shows Child #1 telling her parents that her (vagina) hurt and that (her teacher) touched her vagina with a magnetic block.
2. During a medical examination on 04/28/2023, Child #1 stated that Staff #1 had touched her (vagina) while in the bathroom with his hand and a block ?inside?.
3. During a forensic interview conducted by the Child Advocacy Center on 04/30/2023, Child #1 identified Staff #1 by photograph, confirming Staff #1 was the person who ?touched? her (vagina), also stating, ?he touched harder?. When asked if he touched her on the inside or outside of the (vagina), she replied, ?inside?.
4. During a forensic interview conducted by the Child Advocacy Center on 05/01/2023, when shown a photograph of Staff #1, Child #1 again stated that he touched her (vagina). When asked if this happened at her school, Child #1 nodded yes.
5. During an interview with Staff #1 on 05/01/2023, Staff #1 stated that co-workers leave him alone at naptime to go on break and when they get back, he goes on break. Staff #2 and Staff #3 confirmed that on 04/29/2023, Staff #1 had been left alone with the children (including Child #1) for one hour during naptime. Documentation shows that during an interview with child protective services, Child #2 stated that she saw Staff #1 in the bathroom with Child #1 during nap time.
Plan of Correction: The staff member was immediately placed on suspension, then terminated and has not been in our center since 4/28/2023.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-340-F Complaint related: No Description: Based on interview, the center failed to ensure that children under the age of 10 years old are always within actual sight and sound supervision of staff.
1. On 05/01/2023, an interview with Staff #1 revealed that staff do not always maintain sight and sound supervision of children under the age of 10 years. Staff #1 stated that staff remain on the floor and cannot see the children who go in the upper part of the City Play Place.
2. On 05/01/2023, interview with Staff #3 revealed that staff check on the children when they are in the upper level of City Play Place, but they do not stay up there with the children.
2. The licensing inspector confirmed by observation that the children cannot be seen in the upper level of the City Play Place. Staff #2 confirmed that the children cannot be seen in the upper level of the City Play Place.
Plan of Correction: Staff is aware and all have been reminded that when 2 teachers are present is City place, 1 teacher must remain on the upper floor. If only 1 teacher is available, the children must stay on the lower level of City place during play time.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.