Creative Gardens Ashburn Village
20909 Ashburn Village Blvd
Ashburn, VA 20147
Current Inspector: Stacy Doyle (571) 835-0386
Inspection Date: Aug. 21, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-780 Special Services.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Discussed the allergy list and the need to specify the list of children with allergies, sensitivities and dietary restrictions. Discussed the menu and the need to be specific on the menu when listing foods (Friday). Discussed the orientation form and documentation requirements.
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 8/21/2023 from 9:00a to 12:32pm. At the time of entrance, 43 children were in care with 9 staff members present. Children were observed eating breakfast, cleaning up to go outside, playing in centers, drawing with colored pencils and playing outside. Infants were playing on the floor with the teacher and sleeping in a bouncy seat. A selection of staff and children records, the physical space, evacuation drills, allergy action plans and attendance records were reviewed. The site was clean, organized and contained an abundant supply of developmentally appropriate materials. Walls, bulletin boards and several other areas of the programming space was decorated with artwork, crafts and projects completed by the children. Interactions between the children and staff were positive. Areas of non-compliance are identified in the violation notice. Please contact me if you have any questions at Stacy.Doyle@doe.virginia.gov or 571-835-0386.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-130-A Description: Based on record review, the center did not obtain documentation that each child has received the immunizations required by the State Board of Health before the child can attend the center.
1. Child #1's file (start date 8/07/2023) did not have record of the child's immunizations.
Plan of Correction: Family was asked not to return until proper vaccine records are provided
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on review of staff records, the center did not obtain documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening for each staff member at the time of employment.
1. Staff #3 (start date 2/21/2023) did not have documentation of a negative tuberculosis screening in the staff file.
Plan of Correction: 1. Staff #3 has been giventime during the day to go and get her TB screening
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-G Description: Based on record review, the center did not meet the proof of child identity and age requirements in ? 22.1-289.049 of the Code of Virginia.
1. Child #1 (start date 8/07/2023) did not have record of providing the center proof of the child's identity.
Plan of Correction: Family was reminded the same day of the need for proof and asked not
to attend until delivering.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-40-H Description: Based on interview and review of records, the center did not provide evidence of insurance coverage for public liability insurance for bodily injury for each center site with a minimum limit of at least $500,000 each occurrence and with a minimum limit of $500,000 aggregate.
1. Staff stated they did not have the insurance certificate to show the evidence of the required liability insurance.
Plan of Correction: Evidence will be sent today 8/22 to the inspector.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-70 Description: Based on record review, staff records did not include all required information.
1. Staff #1, Staff #2 and Staff #3 had the person listed to be notified in an emergency with their phone number, but did not have the emergency contact's address.
Plan of Correction: We updated their information and all future staff documents to reflect the
need for an emergency address.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-C Description: Based on review of the orientation document, the orientation training did not include all of the required topics.
1. The orientation form for all three staff did not include topics on prevention of shaken baby syndrome and abusive head trauma, including procedures to cope with crying babies or distraught children.
Plan of Correction: This is covered in both the three hour update and 10 hour training
each staff member is required to take upon employment. We will
itemize this on the orientation checklist to reflect the training.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-240-I Description: Based on review of the orientation documentation kept by the center, the document did not include all required information.
1. The orientation form did not include the training delivery method and did not include all training topics. One topic missing was the CPR training withing 30 days. The other topic was the shaken baby syndrome and abusive head trauma.
Plan of Correction: We have added both mode of training and training content to those
uncertified and brand new to the school,
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-260-A Description: Based on review, the center did not provide to the licensing representative an annual fire inspection report from the appropriate fire official having jurisdiction.
1. The last fire inspection report was dated 3/31/2022.
Plan of Correction: Scheduled fire inspection for next week.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Repeat Violation
Based on observation, Areas of the center inside and outside were not maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. Two black borders had large cracks (approximately 1/2 the length of each border) in them that hold the mulch inside the playground area.
2. In Classroom 4, the paint was chipping near the allergy list.
3. In Classroom 1, the paint was chipping approximately the size of a quarter on the back wall.
4. In Classroom 5, the paint was chipping under the cubbies and to the right of the cubbies.
5. The base of the 4th step on the school age playground equipment had a large crack approximately 7 inches long.
Plan of Correction: 1. Border to be replaced thisweek
2. Center is undergoing renovation and each classroom will be
3. See #2
4. See #2
5. Playground equipment will be fixed.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-290-A-3 Description: Based on observation, the center failed to cover all unused electrical outlets with protective covers.
1. One unused electrical outlet in Classroom 5 was not covered with a protective cover.
Plan of Correction: Outlet cover was installed directly after the inspector left.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-C Description: Based on observation, the center did not meet all requirements when using diaper ointment or cream.
1. In Classroom 3, a Balmex ointment was inside a drawer in the bathroom children use and was not kept inaccessible to children.
Plan of Correction: Diaper cream was placed in locked cabinet and teachers were reminded
to keep it locked up.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.