Brilliant Beginnings Learning Center
1196 Green Garden Circle
Virginia beach, VA 23453
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: Sept. 5, 2023
Complaint Related: Yes
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
A complaint inspection was conducted on September 5, 2023, in response to a complaint that was received by the department on August 28, September 1, and September 5, 2023, regarding allegations in the care of the children at the center, ratio, and staff background checks. Staff were interviewed, documentation was reviewed, classroom observations were completed, and a tour of the facility was conducted. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliances with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program. The complaints are determined to be valid with regards to out of state background checks and ratio. The violations were discussed with the owner at the exit interview.
Standard #: 22.1-289.035-B-4 Complaint related: No Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that they obtain a copy of the results of a criminal history record information check, a sex offender registry check, and a search of the child abuse and neglect registry or equivalent registry from any state in which the individual has resided in the preceding five years.
1. Staff #3 (date of hire 08/04/2023) reported that they lived in another state outside of Virginia in the past five years. The out of state background checks were not completed or documented in their record.
2. Staff #4 (date of hire 8/04/2023) reported on their sworn statement signed on 8/04/2023, that they lived in another state outside of Virginia in the past five years. Staff #4 did not have the out of state background checks completed or documented in their record.
3. Staff #6 confirmed that Staff #3 and Staff #4 did not have their out of state background check completed.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The center will have Staff #3 and Staff #4 complete the out of state background check and provide the results to licensing as well as placed and documented to staff records.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-350-B-1 Complaint related: No Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that the ratio size requirements for birth to 16 months is one staff member to 4 children in care.
1. During the inspection, there were 9 children observed in the infant center with 2 staff members. The ratio with 9 children should be with 3 staff members.
2. Staff #6 and Staff #2 confirmed that the ratio of the infant room was out of compliance.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff members were able to recognize that the infant room was out of ratio and had an additional staff member assist in the room. The children and staff in the center adjusted to ensure that the staff to children ratio was in compliance.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.