Brilliant Beginnings Learning Center
1196 Green Garden Circle
Virginia beach, VA 23453
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: Sept. 5, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
- Technical Assistance:
Technical assistance given and licensing standards were reviewed regarding medications, first aid kit, and hazardous substances.
An unannounced inspection was completed September 5, 2023. Inspector arrived at 10:30am and departed at approximately 2:00pm. There were 33 children and 7 staff members present. The Inspector observed six children?s records and nine staff records. The Inspector observed staff and children?s interactions throughout the inspection. Children were observed during indoor and outdoor play, group activity, lunch, handwashing, bottle feeding, diapering, and transition to nap. Emergency preparedness documents were observed. Medications are administered at the center however there were no current medications on site. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented. The violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were reviewed with the Director at the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-440-B Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that cribs be identified for use by a specific child.
1. In the infant room with 4 children present, the 4 cribs did not have labels or names that identified each crib use by a specific child.
2. Staff #2 confirmed that the cribs were not labeled with the children?s names that identified for use by a specific child.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Cribs will be appropriately labeled.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-440-G Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that cribs shall be used for children under 12 months of age and for children over 12 months of age who are not developmentally ready to sleep on a cot or mat.
1. In the infant room, two children above the age of 12 months were sleeping in a crib.
a. Child #1, age 15 months, was asleep in a crib.
b. Child #2, age 15 months, was asleep in a crib.
2. Staff #2 and Staff #6 confirmed that Child #1 and Child #2 were over the age of 12 months and were sleeping in cribs.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The children above the age of 12 months old will sleep on cots.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that when diapering soiled clothing, the disposable diapers shall be disposed in a leakproof or plastic-lined storage system that is either foot-operated or used in such a way that neither the staff member's hand nor the soiled diaper touches an exterior surface of the storage system during disposal.
1. In the toddler classroom, the diaper disposal container required that the staff members place their hands to the exterior surface of the garbage to dispose of a soiled diaper.
2. Staff #3 confirmed that their hands touch the exterior of the diaper disposal container as there is no foot-operated pedal.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The owner will purchase a new diaper disposal garbage for the toddler room.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-520-C Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that when diaper ointment or cream is used these products shall be in the original container and labeled with the child's name.
1. In the toddler room, Child #3?s diaper cream was not labeled with the child?s name.
2. Staff #3 confirmed that the diaper cream for Child #3 was not labeled with their name.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: During the time of the inspection, the diaper cream was labeled.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-570-A Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that when a child is in a feeding tables, the protective belt shall be fastened securely.
1. In the infant room, an infant child was placed in the feeding table without the protective belt fastened securely.
2. Infant staff member confirmed that the child was not security fastened while sitting at the feeding table.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Moving forward, staff members will ensure that the children are securely fastened in their feeding table.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.