Community Child Care, Incorporated
32 Park Boulevard
Staunton, VA 24401
Current Inspector: Amy Tomblin (804) 629-3923
Inspection Date: Sept. 5, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-780 Special Care Provisions and Emergencies
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 09/05/2023 from 10:55 a.m. to 2:10 p.m. There were 25 children present, ranging in ages from two to five years old with nine staff supervising. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, physical plant, staffing and supervision, programming, medication, special care and emergencies and nutrition. A total of five child records and five staff records were reviewed.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Licensing Inspector at (804) 629-3923.
Standard #: 8VAC20-770-60-B Description: Based on review of records, the center failed to obtain a Sworn Statement prior to the first day of employment.
1. Staff #2?s start date was 09/01/2023. Staff #1?s record did not contain a sworn statement.
2. Staff #3?s start date was 02/16/2023. Staff #3?s sworn statement was dated 02/27/2023
Plan of Correction: We will make sure sworn statements are signed prior to employees' start date, effective immediately. Staff #2's sworn statement was signed on 9/01/23 and sent over on 9/7/23.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-160-A Description: Based on review of records, each staff member failed to submit a negative tuberculosis (TB) screening with in the last 30 calendar days of the date of employment.
1. Staff #1?s start date was 08/28/2023. Staff #1 did not have a TB screening on file at the time of the inspection.
2. Staff #2?s start date was 09/01/2023. Staff #2 did not have a TB screening on file at the time of the inspection.
3. Staff #3?s start date was 02/16/2023. The date of Staff #3?s TB screening was 05/27/2023.
4. Staff #4?s start date was 04/03/2023. Staff #4 did not have a TB screening on file at the time of the inspection.
Plan of Correction: On 9/05/23 at 3:00PM TB screenings were completed. I emailed those screenings on 9/07/23. We will ensure TB screenings/ tests are done before the employees start date. Effective immediately.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-245-A Description: Based on review of records, staff failed to complete a minimum of 16 hours of training annually
1. Staff #6?s start date was 08/23/2021. Staff #6?s file had 11 hours of training for the dates of 08/23/2022-08/22/2023. Staff #5 confirmed that Staff #6 did not complete the minimum 16 hours of annual training.
2. Staff #7?s start date was 08/25/2021. Staff #7?s file had four hours of training for the dates of 08/25/2022-08/24/2023. Staff #5 confirmed that Staff #7 did not complete the minimum 16 hours of annual training.
3. Staff #8?s start date was 02/05/2019. Staff #8 did not have training hours on file for the dates of 02/05/2022-02/04/2023. Staff #5 confirmed that Staff #8 did not complete the minimum 16 hours of annual training.
Plan of Correction: We have scheduled allotted times for each staff to have time to complete their 16 hours each year. This will be effective immediately.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that areas and equipment are maintained in a clean, safe and operable condition.
1. In the boy?s preschool restroom, the baseboard heater was missing the cover exposing sharp metal edges.
2.The wood picnic tables on the front playground were cracked and splintering.
Plan of Correction: The baseboards were fixed on 9/7/23. They are now secure and have coverings on them. The wooden picnic tables will be sanded and sealed by the end of the month.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-320-B Description: Based on observation and interview, the center failed to equip each restroom with toilet paper and disposable towels.
1. In the 2?s and 3?s classroom, the restroom on the right had no toilet paper.
2. In the girl?s restroom in the preschool classroom, there was no toilet paper.
3. In the preschool classroom, both restrooms had no paper towels. Staff #5 confirmed that the restrooms were missing paper towels.
Plan of Correction: Paper towel dispensers and holders were placed in the bathroom so children have access to them. Opening staff will also make sure there is toilet paper and paper towels in the restrooms at the beginning of their shifts each day, effective immediately.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-330-B Description: Based on observation, the center failed to ensure that where playground equipment is provided, resilient surfacing complies with minimum safety standards.
1. On the back playground, there was grass covering the ground around the back side of the climber.
2. On the back playground, around the large climber was two picnic tables in the fall zone around the climber.
Plan of Correction: We will have the grass removed from the mulched areas. We will also add and till mulch to be safer. We will correct this in the next month.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.